RecipeDB - Hows Kolsch spalt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefeffect

Reaction score

Hows Kolsch spalt?

Ale - Kölsch
All Grain
* * - - - 1 Votes

Brewer's Notes

BIAB recipe. Great beer easy to brew and tastes like a good clean lager. Basically used Kolsch yeast 2 #2575 which was not on the recipe list. Mashed 65.5 for 75 mins mash out 75.6 15 mins. Fermented at 18 deg for 3 weeks crashed chilled for 5 days and racked to secondary with gelatine as this yeast strain doesn't flocculate real well but has great lager qualities. Force carbonated and drank, sooo good!!

Not sure what the go is with the recipe on Here first one added as only one proud enough to add:

Beersmith OG 1.048, FG 1.008, 5.1%, 28.1 IBU, 7.5 EBC. EST ABV 5% EST FG 1.010

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
3.25 kg JWM Export Pilsner
0.5 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat
0.45 kg JWM Light Munich

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
35 g Select Spalt (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 60mins)
15 g Select Spalt (Pellet, 4.8AA%, 45mins)

Yeast

200 ml Wyeast Labs 2565 - Kolsch Yeast
19L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.048 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.012 (calc)
  • Bitterness 32 IBU
  • Efficiency 70%
  • Alcohol 4.68%
  • Colour 8 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 21 days
  • Secondary 21 days

looking to try brewing my first kolsch, this recipe might be the one.

Its a simple recipe tastes great. The German pils would be better, that's all I had and the color was a bit light, just inside the style range.. I couldn't find much info on the style or recipes, so came up with this one based on what I could find, the hops are great!!

Its a simple recipe tastes great. The German pils would be better, that's all I had and the color was a bit light, just inside the style range.. I couldn't find much info on the style or recipes, so came up with this one based on what I could find, the hops are great!!

yep, spalt is the definitive hop for a kolsch

i had the last glass last night, a total of four kegs brewed a couple of months ago all gone

time to brew some more

Back