RecipeDB - Fenton and Troys Cream Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done this recipe with Willamette, and it was great. Most non-brewers/megaswillers, said they thought it was my best brew yet.

How much polenta would you use? ie., if you use 20% crushed corn. Ie., I used 3.75 kg. Would I then just sub it out with 3.75 kg of polenta?

Hey Mickey Eyes, how did the "choc fruit ale" turn out?

I've done this recipe with Willamette, and it was great. Most non-brewers/megaswillers, said they thought it was my best brew yet.

How much polenta would you use? ie., if you use 20% crushed corn. Ie., I used 3.75 kg. Would I then just sub it out with 3.75 kg of polenta?

Hey Mickey Eyes, how did the "choc fruit ale" turn out?
only gagging :lol:

I have just tried this recipe verbatim. It did a week in primary and when I racked it to secondary I made a test bottle which has been conditioning for 10 days. I tried the bottle today and it is a bit of a dissapointment ... absolutely no head, no hopfeel and tastes like a "grainy sweet corn ginger beer". The rest of it is still in the cube at 22 deg C ..... I think I might give it another week in secondary then say 3 days at 2 deg C and then coldfilter it to a keg ready for gassing ..... hopefully that regime might clean up the taste a bit. Any thoughts on improving this or am I jumping the gun?

cheers

5 eyes

Have not made this brew but I am confident more time in the bottle will improve your batch - patience! B)

Have not made this brew but I am confident more time in the bottle will improve your batch - patience! B)

i am going to keg this bad boy ... so I am not sure if stripping the yeast out by filtering within the next 2 weeks is a wise thing or not???

i am going to keg this bad boy ... so I am not sure if stripping the yeast out by filtering within the next 2 weeks is a wise thing or not???

Filtering will take a lot of yeast out but still leave enough in there to aid the brew in terms of cleaning it up somewhat. Bottled beers still carb up fine after being run through a filter before hand.

Brew it again if its a winner, then do a side by side, filter one keg and leave the other unfiltered!

3 questions on this one:

1.Where would you get dried cracked corn?

2.Would it be better to use due to the results??

3.Should i just try and find Bribies method, will it deliver similar results???

Really want to something different, your feedback is appreciated :icon_cheers:

Cheers Bob

Dried cracked corn from a horse produce supplier. I use it for sour mash bourbon...

Dried cracked corn from a horse produce supplier. I use it for sour mash bourbon...

I had some horse produce once. Personally I don't much care for horse steak, very dark and too strong for me. Maybe Florian could comment on the relative goodness of horse meat based sausages. :p

3 questions on this one:

1.Where would you get dried cracked corn?

2.Would it be better to use due to the results??

3.Should i just try and find Bribies method, will it deliver similar results???

Really want to something different, your feedback is appreciated :icon_cheers:

Cheers Bob
Robbie,
JK has some dried corn...he got it from a horse produce supplier , as suggested....he may "sell " you some...he also has a mill...
I used it in a beer and didn't "pre-gelatinise" or "pre-cook" it....probably should have....it would have worked better....
unlike flaked corn, cracked has to be cooked before mashing. You may also get more hot break from the extra protein.
Not sure you will get similar results...why not do a batch each way and find out !
Cheers
Ferg

I used the flaked maize .... which seems to mash ok on the day. I got it from Ross at Crafterbrewer

One of my constants...

A House brew... Loved by SWMBO.. one beer she doesn't call 'grassy' HAHA :lol:

But seriously, over all I have brewed this beer in a different form everytime and have found it a dead set quaffer each time - if the missus enjoys it, it must be simple in flavour and easy to drink.

Since first brewing this recipe I have changed the hops to Hallertau, to Northern Brewer and even perle at the same additions... and it still balances out!

I have done the last few without the 'corn' but the same everything else - so yeah, it would seem it is no longer a CA but this recipe has made me some great beers and more importantly, made me make some great beers!

2c.

I have just tried this recipe verbatim. It did a week in primary and when I racked it to secondary I made a test bottle which has been conditioning for 10 days. I tried the bottle today and it is a bit of a dissapointment ... absolutely no head, no hopfeel and tastes like a "grainy sweet corn ginger beer". The rest of it is still in the cube at 22 deg C ..... I think I might give it another week in secondary then say 3 days at 2 deg C and then coldfilter it to a keg ready for gassing ..... hopefully that regime might clean up the taste a bit. Any thoughts on improving this or am I jumping the gun?

cheers

5 eyes
Jumping the gun on just about accounts IMO
Even thought it's an adjunct 1050OG beer with us05 I would have left it a little longer than a week primary. Now even if u didn't and were going to leave for a week in secondary, you made a test bottle from 1 week fermented beer, this putting ut back into primary fermentation mode (ie bottle fermentation) and expecting it to carb up and condition in a very short period of time. Your also not allowing for conditioning time (even if kegging). So all too fast I recon

Plus ur description of taste makes me think incomplete fermentation or you mashed too hot and got a lot of extra body and sweetness.

Your options (if the rest is still in secondary) is to leave a little longer (what are ur SG readings, that's what u should be going on) and then keg, wait for conditioning to occur in keg then sample.

Even thought it's an adjunct 1050OG beer with us05 I would have left it a little longer than a week primary. Now even if u didn't and were going to leave for a week in secondary, you made a test bottle from 1 week fermented beer, this putting ut back into primary fermentation mode (ie bottle fermentation) and expecting it to carb up and condition in a very short period of time. Your also not allowing for conditioning time (even if kegging). So all too fast I recon

Plus ur description of taste makes me think incomplete fermentation or you mashed too hot and got a lot of extra body and sweetness.

Your options (if the rest is still in secondary) is to leave a little longer (what are ur SG readings, that's what u should be going on) and then keg, wait for conditioning to occur in keg then sample.

The OG was actually 1042 for me ...... I just measured the hydro after nearly two weeks in secondary and got 1008 ..... so it is pretty well attenuated ...... i did taste it and the sweetness has gone but the corn taste is still there ..... you right ....i need to give it more time in the cube .... the question is do i leave it at ambient temp (24 deg) or stick it in the fridge ????

Since I last spoke, it has been over a month conditioning in the keg at 2 deg C after two weeks of secondary racking and a cold filter...... i gassed up the keg on thursday and tasted it today .... it has certainly improved in flavour, mouthfeel, head retention has improved and visually presents well. The big problem I had previously, i think, is checking the progress of beer by tasting with test bottles carbonated at room temperature. In Brisbane the higher temperatures, I reckon, screws up any delicate flavours and adds undesirable ones... i thinking rapid bottle conditioning at higher temperatures (around 27-28 deg C) is bad news......... long live kegs !!!!!!

Happy 5 eyes !!!!

I have now finished brewing my second batch of creamy ale and this time around I have experimented with halving the maize bill to see how it tastes.

I will be kegging this next week .... will let you know how it goes

5 eyes

Back