RecipeDB - Bullshead Witbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think im gunna have to brew this again soon myself........... i just found a vial of Forbidden Fruit yeast in my fridge :)

Might aim to have this on tap beside a CAP when it warms up a bit more....... Lawnmowing will never be better :)
My Wit can in a bit under gravity 1040 ill be looking forward to mowing the lawns in a few weeks!!!!! Definately b saaz next think it should compliment the corriander and orange
Rekon Bulls head saison is next,going by last weeks temps it will be all i can brew!!!!(cold and pissing down now!!!though)

well its a Witbier yeast so im sure it will go great!

I have not tried it myself either........ use it and let us know what you think!

cheers

Tanga... B Saaz is one of my favorite hops.

It is peppery but i wouldnt describe it a black pepper....... more a solid slightly bitey edge to the citrus..... making it peppery i guess :)

if you can... use whole flowers :icon_drool2: In fact you could probably use all NZ hops in this...... some hallartau aroma, and goldings of styrian flowers from NZ are great hops.

cheers

Wow, that does sound good. This recipe ticks all the boxes for a wit, and seems similar to the best of the recipes in the flavour of the week thread on wits, and with all positive feedback. It was only a matter of time before I tried it. It will be sooner rather than later now though. I can use hops and yeast I have. =)

awsome!

I only usually post up the recipes that really say WOW. If im not 100% happy that people will get a great result...... it stayes in promash to be tweaked.

Thats not to say you cant tweak them though..... thats the joy of being a home brewer!

Remember to toast off the coriander seed first and get the good Indian coriander seeds from herbies...... they have the most amazing lemony character.

cheers

Wow, that does sound good. This recipe ticks all the boxes for a wit, and seems similar to the best of the recipes in the flavour of the week thread on wits, and with all positive feedback. It was only a matter of time before I tried it. It will be sooner rather than later now though. I can use hops and yeast I have. =)
This recipe is a winner Tanga!!! been through 3 kegs!! and its about the most "could you please brew that wit beer again" style that ive made
:icon_cheers: let us know what you think of it once you have made it
Cheers Glenn

well its a Witbier yeast so im sure it will go great!

I have not tried it myself either........ use it and let us know what you think!

cheers

Good stuff, mate. Can't wait to try this! I'll hopefully get to this in the next couple of weeks, so I'll let you know.
Cheers.

Brewed this on the weekend.

Tried a new mash schedule as well.

20min Protein rest @ 55
60 min Scarification @ 65
10min Decoction for mash out @ 75

Just making a starter now for it, will let you know how it goes.

I just made this its in the fridge now and smelling great. Although the "herbies" website were all out of indian coriander seed so i went with the Aussie stuff from them. see if i can get a hold of the indian stuff next time.
Grinding that raw wheat was nothing but a bitch!! spilled the grain all over the floor twice from the mill jamming up (had a couple under my belt) but got there eventually.
Thanks Tony

Ohh i forgot to mention i couldn't get any dried orange peel here in Albany. Being the impatient bugger i just went and made some myself. In the oven on 100 degrees for an hour or 2 with the door ajar works a treat.

Hey there, Tony.
I ordered some wheat yeasts a while ago in anticipation to try this recipe. I just checked and I've ordered 3944 Belgian Witbier instead of the forbidden fruit :wacko:
I've not tried this yeast yet (or the forbidden fruit, or brewed a Wit either). How do you reckon it'd go?
Cheers, mate.
John.

JYO - I've done this 3 times with the 3944 belgian wit .... winner. I have got some forbidden fruit yeast now and will have a crack at it next week. Nice to see the difference...
Cheers
BBB

Grinding that raw wheat was nothing but a bitch!! spilled the grain all over the floor twice from the mill jamming up (had a couple under my belt) but got there eventually.
Thanks Tony

hehe :)

get a motor !!!

good to see people making this........ its a cracker!

JYO - I've done this 3 times with the 3944 belgian wit .... winner. I have got some forbidden fruit yeast now and will have a crack at it next week. Nice to see the difference...
Cheers
BBB

Thanks, mate. I have to get to brewing this soon...I have a few beers on the waiting list at the moment.
Cheers.

Hey Guys,

I made a batch of this about 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately my efficiency was ABSOLUTELY CRAP.
I scaled the recipe down to make an 18L batch (did maxi-BIAB on stovetop using 19L pot) but I only finished up with just 13L of SG 1041 at the end of the boil, thats just 47% efficiency.

Could anyone suggest how I might have got such bad efficiency?

The grain was cracked by my LHBS. He actually used a coffee grinder to crack the raw wheat.

Here is the process that I used:
Step mash using the following steps:
52C for 15mins
64C for 40mins
70C for 20mins
76C for 10mins

I dropped the bag and grain into the water (approx 12-13L) at 55C and the temp dropped to 51C, but didn't have enough water so I added 1L of cold water to fill the pot close to the brim and heated to my first step of 52C. I continually stirred whilst heating on the stove top to each step (I kept the bag off the bottom of the pot by placing a stainless steel steamer rack that had lots of holes in it on the bottom of the pot) then I wrapped the pot in towels to insulate it when it had reached each temp and left for the allocated times. At the end of the mash I gave the bag a good squeeze then sparged 3 times, placing the bag inside a collander in a bucket and using about 3L each time (a total of about 9L).

I did a 90min boil and gradually added sparge water to keep the wort level close to the rim of the pot, whilst avoiding boil overs.

I also made the mistake of not taking a SG reading until after i'd finished the boil, so I think I added to too much coriander 7g?? (enough for 18L batch scaled from original recipe). Tasting the wort out of ther fermenter it has a slightly strong ham??? sort of flavour but a quite refreshing tart after taste. It's not undrinkable so I will bottle this weekend and see how it goes.

Cheers
Simon

Hey Guys,

I made a batch of this about 2 weeks ago, but unfortunately my efficiency was ABSOLUTELY CRAP.
I scaled the recipe down to make an 18L batch (did maxi-BIAB on stovetop using 19L pot) but I only finished up with just 13L of SG 1041 at the end of the boil, thats just 47% efficiency.

Could anyone suggest how I might have got such bad efficiency?

The grain was cracked by my LHBS. He actually used a coffee grinder to crack the raw wheat.

Here is the process that I used:
Step mash using the following steps:
52C for 15mins
64C for 40mins
70C for 20mins
76C for 10mins

I dropped the bag and grain into the water (approx 12-13L) at 55C and the temp dropped to 51C, but didn't have enough water so I added 1L of cold water to fill the pot close to the brim and heated to my first step of 52C. I continually stirred whilst heating on the stove top to each step (I kept the bag off the bottom of the pot by placing a stainless steel steamer rack that had lots of holes in it on the bottom of the pot) then I wrapped the pot in towels to insulate it when it had reached each temp and left for the allocated times. At the end of the mash I gave the bag a good squeeze then sparged 3 times, placing the bag inside a collander in a bucket and using about 3L each time (a total of about 9L).

I did a 90min boil and gradually added sparge water to keep the wort level close to the rim of the pot, whilst avoiding boil overs.

I also made the mistake of not taking a SG reading until after i'd finished the boil, so I think I added to too much coriander 7g?? (enough for 18L batch scaled from original recipe). Tasting the wort out of ther fermenter it has a slightly strong ham??? sort of flavour but a quite refreshing tart after taste. It's not undrinkable so I will bottle this weekend and see how it goes.

Cheers
Simon
I don't know what causes the low efficiency but have had the same issue when using raw wheat. I also had an issue with a large % of rye. The wort seems to be very viscous and takes ages to drain. Makes nice beer though.

I don't know what causes the low efficiency but have had the same issue when using raw wheat. I also had an issue with a large % of rye. The wort seems to be very viscous and takes ages to drain. Makes nice beer though.

I know that wheat doesn't contain diastatic enzymes, so it needs the enzymes contained in certain malts to break down the starches. I've never used rye in a beer before but maybe rye doesn't contain diastatic enzymes either.

I also know that the amount of diastatic enzyme varies between different malt types. Could my poor efficiency be due to using a Pilsner malt (not sure what type of Pilsner the LHBS gave me) that didn't contain high enough levels of diastatic enzymes to break down the starches in the wheat?

Hmmm,

I've just picked up the grain for this recipe from my LHBS, and I ordered JW malted wheat instead of raw wheat...

I'm going to make it as a BIAB tomorrow...should I be worried because its malted wheat instead? I've basically cut the recipe in half, with 2.5kg each of wheat and pilsner malt and 500g of oats. Using a mix of saaz and Hallertau instead of the Saphir.

Is there anything I should do because I'm using malted wheat instead of raw wheat?

Murphy

Brewed a extract version 3 days ago with

1.5kg Briess Pilsen Light LME
1.0kg Briess Dried Wheat Malt
300g Carapils
500g Quick oats
10g coriander seeds
Zest of 2 oranges
forbidden fruit wyeast 3463

couldn't help myself by putting in the carapils(don't know why i did now its a problem i have) and used 15g kohatu @45 mins,
Wai-iti 10g @20mins & 15g @5mins,could't find dried orange peel so had to use fresh, think i should have used more and the hops because i can, sorry for messing with your receipe tony,cheers hope i didn't fark it up though time will tell :beer:

Could my poor efficiency be due to using a Pilsner malt (not sure what type of Pilsner the LHBS gave me)

Woooooooowwwwww you dont know what sort of malt you got????????????

And he used a coffee grinder to crack the wheat?????????????

Mate..... your local HBS sounds dodgy.

Was the mystery pilsner malt freshly cracked for you or was it already cracked?

Good chance you have been sold some old stale malt or it was not cracked enough or a combo of both and thats what gave you your crap efficiency.

I get reduced efficiency with fresh malt cracked quite fine, and its not an easy beer to mash!

Hmmm,

I've just picked up the grain for this recipe from my LHBS, and I ordered JW malted wheat instead of raw wheat...

I'm going to make it as a BIAB tomorrow...should I be worried because its malted wheat instead? I've basically cut the recipe in half, with 2.5kg each of wheat and pilsner malt and 500g of oats. Using a mix of saaz and Hallertau instead of the Saphir.

Is there anything I should do because I'm using malted wheat instead of raw wheat?

Murphy

It will be fine, but you wont get the same fluffy tart finnish given by the raw wheat.

they use it for a reason :)

Just tasted this one when I was racking to my keg.........tastes like Hoegarden accept more fresh homebrew goodness. Tastes like another cracking recipe from The BullsHead brewery! I reckon i'll be impressing my mates over the holidays with this one mate, thanks again.

Woooooooowwwwww you dont know what sort of malt you got????????????

And he used a coffee grinder to crack the wheat?????????????

Mate..... your local HBS sounds dodgy.

Was the mystery pilsner malt freshly cracked for you or was it already cracked?

Good chance you have been sold some old stale malt or it was not cracked enough or a combo of both and thats what gave you your crap efficiency.

I get reduced efficiency with fresh malt cracked quite fine, and its not an easy beer to mash!

Thanks for your advice Tony,

I checked up on the Pilsner Malt and I think it was Joe White.

I don't think that my LHBS is dodgy. He is always busy and I think that a lot of AHB members use his store regularly (his store in the north east of Melbourne is often mentioned on AHB) and other guys in the store often comment saying that he is better than other nearby stores. The wheat was freshly cracked on the day and when he cracked it he said that it jams in his mill, so he would do it in the coffee grinder. He probably has a good turn over of stock so I assume it was fresh. It was cracked quite coarsely so I think that was the reason for my crap efficiency. I'll make sure that it is cracked more finely for my next batch.

Cheers

Simon

Back