RecipeDB - Bullshead Witbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This recipe is the bomb!!! on my 2nd keg already
Thanks for sharing this winner Tony!!!! :icon_chickcheers:

no probs :)

I will have to get more raw wheat :)

Hey guys,

I'm planning to make a batch of this on the weekend, it sounds great. However, I do maxi-BIAB in a 19L pot on the stove top, therefore my mash is full to the brim. I don't think that I could do a step mash, as I wouldn't be able to constantly stir whilst heating (to get even heat distribution and to prevent the bag from burning on the bottom of the pot) without splashing wort everywhere. Would this recipe still turn out ok if I just do a single step mash? If so, what temperature should I mash at?

Also, should I do a 90min boil because you are using pilsner malt?

Many thanks

Simon

You could look at doing a decoction to raise the temperature instead of direct heating.

Or you could reduce the strike water, and add it back in during the sparge.

Ahhhh and you hit the limitation of BIAB.

If its on the stove, cant you gently heat the mash to the steps?

Thanks for your advice Felten and Tony,

I've never done a step mash or decoction, this is only my 7th AG brew (all single step mashes). So maybe I should attempt a step mash, as it sounds more simple, using a gentle heat on the small gas stovetop burner, watching it closely and very carefully stirring it regularly. I don't quite fully understand the process and reasons (flavour and colour?) for a decoction yet, so I will have to do a bit more reading before I attempted a decoction.

In a step mash what temperatures and times would you recommend for each step?

Many thanks again
Simon

My steps and times are:
52 for 15min
64 f for 40 min
70 for 20 min
76 for 10 min

Some also start at 42 for 15 i think.

Before i had recirc biab either pump with paint mixer with applied heat or lift bag overshoot temp a bit and lower bag

Hope this helps

Thanks for your help guys

Seamad I'll give that step mash schedule a crack tonight.

Good article thanks Felten. You are right, decoctions don't sound as complex as I first thought. I'll give one a try soon.

Has anyone used the corriander,orange peel and black peppercorns? knocking up another bullshead wit today and im thinking of adding 6 or so whole black peppercorns into the boil! :icon_cheers:

The only place I've seen pepper tried in a wit is when wits were the "Beer of the week thread" and it didn't go over too well. Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe check it out. I'd link it, but I'm on my phone. Personally I wouldn't add pepper, but if I did I'd only use a tiny bit so you couldn't identify it.

Thanks mate,your right might just try a few and see how it goes,or maybe none at all it is SWAMBOs fav so i dont think i should mess with it :beer:

Thanks mate,your right might just try a few and see how it goes,or maybe none at all it is SWAMBOs fav so i dont think i should mess with it :beer:

Or make sure that, if you do, it's better. :p

The wit BOTW is a good thread: worth reading if you want to change things up. Chai spices are the one that makes me go hmmm. :icon_drool2:

Humulus. I've been stalking the flavour of the week threads and found this:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...13451&st=20

Looks like B-Saaz would be a good sub for the hops, and give some of those peppery notes you're after with the added bonus of being able to be aged out if you don't like it. I have some B-Saaz, so may give it a go myself. Apparently goes well in wits.

Humulus. I've been stalking the flavour of the week threads and found this:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...13451&st=20

Looks like B-Saaz would be a good sub for the hops, and give some of those peppery notes you're after with the added bonus of being able to be aged out if you don't like it. I have some B-Saaz, so may give it a go myself. Apparently goes well in wits.
Cheers Tanga i will definately pick up some b-saaz to see how it tweeks it!.
I stuck to the original recipe seeing its such a "quaffer" but b-saaz it is next time! :beer:

hell yeah... B Saaz would work well as the late hop i think

Glad you think so Tony. It is one thing to see a hop description and recipe and think yeah, and to know the beer and think yeah. I feel much better about trying (and suggesting) this now. Thanks!

Due to my parents not loving me enough to act as pack mules and bring my honey wheat braggot back from the country when they visit I have yet to try B-Saaz, but will be using it in this very soon, as your recipe looks a goer.

Tanga... B Saaz is one of my favorite hops.

It is peppery but i wouldnt describe it a black pepper....... more a solid slightly bitey edge to the citrus..... making it peppery i guess :)

if you can... use whole flowers :icon_drool2: In fact you could probably use all NZ hops in this...... some hallartau aroma, and goldings of styrian flowers from NZ are great hops.

cheers

I think im gunna have to brew this again soon myself........... i just found a vial of Forbidden Fruit yeast in my fridge :)

Might aim to have this on tap beside a CAP when it warms up a bit more....... Lawnmowing will never be better :)

Hey there, Tony.
I ordered some wheat yeasts a while ago in anticipation to try this recipe. I just checked and I've ordered 3944 Belgian Witbier instead of the forbidden fruit :wacko:
I've not tried this yeast yet (or the forbidden fruit, or brewed a Wit either). How do you reckon it'd go?
Cheers, mate.
John.

Back