RecipeDB - Batz Kaffir Lime Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score

Batz Kaffir Lime Pale Ale

Ale - American Pale Ale
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

I'm really enjoying this beer, not to style but nice all the same.
The Kaffir Lime leave are the full or double leaves, I cut them up finely and added at one minute and left them in the wort after the whirlpool.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg Weyermann Pilsner
1 kg BB Ale Malt

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
35 g Goldings, East Kent (Pellet, 5.0AA%, 60mins)
20 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 10mins)
20 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 20mins)
20 g Cascade (Pellet, 5.5AA%, 0mins)

Yeast

500 ml Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.052 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 27.7 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 5.07%
  • Colour 8 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days
  • Conditioning 4 days

The neighbours just trimmed their kaffir lime tree and I have a bag full of leaves to use up and thought this would be a great idea.

Batz, have you brewed this a few times and this is a hop combo thats complements the kaffir lime flavour and aroma, or could you advise on something else you may try or modify for next time?

Cheers

MattC

I have all these ingredients on hand, and we grow kaffir limes, so this is worth a look. I imagine the cascade and the lime would make an interesting blend. I'm interested in the answer to mattc's question though.

I made a witbier with kaffir lime leaves once - the combination of the general ctrus from the wit, and specifically the lime hit from the kaffir lime leaves - well, it seemed to remind people a lot of the smell of dishwashing liquid. It didn't actually taste soapy - but because for a lot of people that was their most familiar lime/citrus smell - it triggered too much memory tasting for them not to "taste" soap in the beer.

So I reckon that flavour set is something that can be overdone (of course batz's beer shows it can be done well too) - it certainly was overdone in my beer. So i'd go with subtle if i were to try it again - you could always "dry lime" the beer to bump it up if needed.

Batz i dont have kaffir leaves but i do have a lime tree, can i use the leaves from my tree or is it not the same, otherwise maybe some limes from my tree, what do you think.

fergi

A long time since I made them but ,

coopers K&K pale ale

std method

added 1/2 leaf when bottling

nice drop

used to make low alcohol brew the same way , the kaffir lime leaves gave it a bit of bite

used lemon myrtle leaves in the same way

Batz i dont have kaffir leaves but i do have a lime tree, can i use the leaves from my tree or is it not the same, otherwise maybe some limes from my tree, what do you think.

fergi
No normal lime leave don't have he same aroma and they are bitter .If you have normal lime I would use the zest of lime. If you can get your hand on kaffir lime leaf I would use it, its really easy to get these days , any asian store will have it

If you should happen to be at your local nursery, admiring the various strains of citrus available and a couple of kaffir lime leaves should accidentally fall into your pocket while you were looking the other way, that wouldn't be stealing would it? :ph34r:

fergi

You need Kaffir Limes leaves fergi, use them sparingly and you'll love the result.
If you can't find them I can send you as many as you need, we love our Thai so we have a kaffir tree.

You need Kaffir Limes leaves fergi, use them sparingly and you'll love the result.
If you can't find them I can send you as many as you need, we love our Thai so we have a kaffir tree.

How many leaves Batz? I'm looking for a christmas beer and this one might make it onto the list.

This is the discussion topic for the recipe: Batz Kaffir Lime Pale Ale

There's no where to add Kaffir lime leaves in the recipe DB, 12 full leaves (double) added at 1 minute and left in the wort during the whirlpool and cool.
It's not really an APA of course but a very refreshing and simple brew all the same.

Batz

How many leaves Batz? I'm looking for a christmas beer and this one might make it onto the list.

:huh:

Batz, do you put them in a bag and pull them out after cooling?

Batz, do you put them in a bag and pull them out after cooling?

They stayed in the whirpool.
Perhaps use a few less on your first go, they are quite intense but that was what I was after.

Awesome concept. I think I am going to have to give this one a run.

Interested in that hop choice in an APA...I've not seen Saaz late (at all?) in an APA before. Is it a complimentary flavour or just what you had at the time?

anyone in perth chasing Kaffir lime leaves can call on me !! i have heaps !!

Latest posts

Back