Recipe Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whippee

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am after bit of advice and/suggestions with this recipe I made up using brewmate. The reason there are some unusual quantities of hops is because I only have 69 grams of hops and I wanted the IBU to be less than or equal to 45.0 (to keep the box from highlighting yellow.

Thanks again

Andy

View attachment Pilsner_10_7_11.xml

you chilling or no chilling??

will be no chillin tonight

thanks

the only things i'd consider are your IBU's if your no chilling (hence the question). I'd maybe pull the IBU's in your recipe down to maybe 35 to allow an increase in bitterness due to not chilling it.

The other thing i'd mention is do a 90min boil as the pilsner malt is a risk at contributing DMS to your beer with a standard boil length.
This will however increase your losses to boil off, so you'll need to compensate in a few areas to end up with the same result.

Apart from that, looks like a decent APA/IPA (assuming that's what your intending???)

I know you called it "pilsner" recipe but it won't be much like a pilsner as it currently stands.

Let us know how it turns out mate.

Hello all again,

I brew this recipe on 12-7, started with a gravity of 1.050. Measured gravity on 14-7, gravity was, 1.044. Temp of wort has been about 14 degrees. Measured gravity today, 16-7, and it measures 1.010 (three samples). this seemed to be a damn fast fermentation job, does this sound right? Anyhow I will leave in the fermenter for another ten days or so, this will give it 2 weeks in the fermenter.

any opinions?

thanks again
andy

Hello all again,

I brew this recipe on 12-7, started with a gravity of 1.050. Measured gravity on 14-7, gravity was, 1.044. Temp of wort has been about 14 degrees. Measured gravity today, 16-7, and it measures 1.010 (three samples). this seemed to be a damn fast fermentation job, does this sound right? Anyhow I will leave in the fermenter for another ten days or so, this will give it 2 weeks in the fermenter.

any opinions?

thanks again
andy
It seems fast, but I have a pilsner on the go at the moment 6 days at 12c and its finished....I was expecting 12-14 days?
ah the slippery slope..

Slippery slope mo doubt so much to learn. Well see how it goes anyhow. Just opened another brew tonight and it's quite flat for some reason after two weeks on the fermenter and two weeks in the bottle. Any ideas?

Thanks again

Slippery slope mo doubt so much to learn. Well see how it goes anyhow. Just opened another brew tonight and it's quite flat for some reason after two weeks on the fermenter and two weeks in the bottle. Any ideas?

Thanks again

The cold weather atm will slow down the carbonation from the yeast in the bottles, mate (assuming you have used the right amount of priming sugar)
Bring them inside (or somewhere warmer) for another couple of weeks, all will be good :icon_cheers:

The cold weather atm will slow down the carbonation from the yeast in the bottles, mate (assuming you have used the right amount of priming sugar)
Bring them inside (or somewhere warmer) for another couple of weeks, all will be good :icon_cheers:

very true, didnt even think about that one.

thanks

Back