Recipe Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyhead.design

Reaction score
Hey Brewers

So here's the long story, I went to Paddy's hop harvest a month ago and the guys over at the Rock's brewery had brewed up a ANZAC day beer that was inspired by the humble ANZAC biscuit.... It was amazing. I love experimental beers that push peoples ideas of what beer can be.... So i've been trying to think of my own crazy new beer. Fast forward and I've put down a couple of hefes and have a white labs 300 just sitting waiting for some crazy creativity.

My creative genius has lead me to the idea of a Banoffee Pie, you know, banana & toffee pie.

I'm thinking:

4kg or so of joe white traditional ale

0.5kg of wheat
0.1 or 0.2 or oats (hoping these 2 will help give me a biscuity flavour to replicate the base of the pie)

A bit of caramalt to add some sweetness and to try and achieve that toffee flavour

Havn't a clue on hops yet, thinking low bitterness though, under 15IBU, wanting more of a girly dessert beer

And off course my hefe yeast WL300 for the banana flavour.

So if anyone has tried anything like this or seen a recipe for this kind of thing or even got any hints for grain quantities to help with the toffee flavour or hop suggestion I'd love your help.

Cheer

Gary

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Single Hop Hallertau Hefe
Seconday: Hefe
Keg: Apple Cider
Keg: Raspberry Apple Cider

How much banana and toffe are you talking? Tried Wells Banana bread beer? Or a hint of it?

I don't think with crystal and yeast you will get big flavours but you can get hints. I've been trying for a while to make a brew with lots of toffee/caramel flavour and I'm drinking a beer with 20% JW Crystal but its still not overly toffee...y. Definetly has sweetness and a hint, just doesn't make me think I'm drinking werther's originals.

Could you find some banana extract maybe?
For toffee, use a good amount of crystal around 150EBC (not carapils or caramalt, which to me doesn't provide much toffee) and make sure to caramelise the wort. I have experimented with this and have good results. Just got lazy last batch. British malts tend to give more toffee too, so I would suggest using about 20% Simpsons heritage.
Also just read that diacetyl can leave a butterscotch taste, which could work.

Some hints for banana could be found here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/banana-bread-ale-90074/

Sounds interesting.

It might be worth looking into something like a Southern English Brown as a base recipe (for the toffee, caramel, nutty flavours) to tweak and then switch the yeast out for something that throws banana. It sounds a bit crazy but it may work...

Good luck. I am keen to see how this goes.

I'd recommend a Leffe Radieuse Clone but use 1214 instead of 3787.

I like the idea of the dessert beer with banana esters from the hefe yeast. Sounds great.

I made an ANZAC Ale a few months ago that turned out really well. I meant to brew it again but as usual, got sidetracked. I had planned to use Coopers recultured for some esters but was lazy.

I would think about increasing the oats to 400 gms or so and toast them in the oven until they start to smell like biscuits and turn a light golden colour. If you are going for an ANZAC inspired beer or want some tofee try adding some golden syrup. It ferments right out, but leaves a nice subtle toffee flavour.

If you want a biscuit flavour, add some biscuit malt (say 300 gms) and munich I. I find the Bairds medium crystal gives a slight toffee flavour.

Good luck!

ANZAC Ale.
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.600
Total Hops (g): 59.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.88 %
Colour (SRM): 6.9 (EBC): 13.6
Bitterness (IBU): 34.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Pale Malt (65.22%)
0.500 kg Flaked Oats (10.87%)
0.500 kg Munich I (10.87%)
0.300 kg Golden Syrup(6.52%)
0.300 kg Wheat Malt (6.52%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
34.0 g Cascade Leaf (home grown) (4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1968 - London ESB Ale

Notes
----------------

golden syrup added last 10 minutes.
Oats are toasted in oven until golden.

Cascade is homegrown cascade

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Back