Recipe For A Carlton Draught Replica

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do the same with my Aussie Ales
Late addition of Cluster instead of POR is very nice as well
Still in the Aussie Ale style,good beer to start those "I don't like homebrew" people out on.

Batz

Mee Three,

even include a little (400G or so) sugar to make them happy.

"Geez thats good ome brew mate, oorlmost loike foreX"

I do the same with my Aussie Ales
Late addition of Cluster instead of POR is very nice as well
Still in the Aussie Ale style,good beer to start those "I don't like homebrew" people out on.

Batz

Mee Three,

even include a little (400G or so) sugar to make them happy.

"Geez thats good ome brew mate, oorlmost loike foreX"

Yes same same,I use 250gm
I haven't seen Pshane for ages but he does a very good Aussie ale,it was my recipe but he improved it no end.

Batz

Seriously now, I don't mind a drop of Carlton Draught as long as it is fresh on tap. The bottled form just tastes like cardboard.

All those Carlton beers have a distinctive bready flavour which I take to be a yeast character. Anyone know of a yeast which is similar?

Seriously now, I don't mind a drop of Carlton Draught as long as it is fresh on tap. The bottled form just tastes like cardboard.

All those Carlton beers have a distinctive bready flavour which I take to be a yeast character. Anyone know of a yeast which is similar?

It's sure not my favourite either
I live in a very small town and the pub is the hub of life here,otherwise there's only a general store.
For this reason I go down and have a few beers a couple of times a week,mega swill is all there is on tap :blink:
Lets you appreciate you brews at home. :beer:

Batz

Colin.

The original CUB strain is "supposedly" a descendant of a (Carlsberg) Danish strain. Not so sure if it's the yeast that creates the CUB house "poo flavour" you're speaking of or heavy-handed flash pasteurisation which can sometimes give a cooked or salada cracker type character.

Explains why the draught is often better (read bee's dick) than the bottled shite... Less (or no) pasteurisation on the kegged stuff.

Warren -

Colin.

The original CUB strain is "supposedly" a descendant of a (Carlsberg) Danish strain. Not so sure if it's the yeast that creates the CUB house "poo flavour" you're speaking of or heavy-handed flash pasteurisation which can sometimes give a cooked or salada cracker type character.

Explains why the draught is often better (read bee's dick) than the bottled shite... Less (or no) pasteurisation on the kegged stuff.

Warren -

That would be something like the wyeast 2124 that I mentioned in my earlier post. I just tapped the above recipe I suggested last night. nice drop.

Devo

Some real, bottled Carlton Draught would pair up nicely with the poo sandwich on your avatar. :lol:

Warren -

Sorry guys, dont want to slow down any brewing interest...All i am trying to say is that once you make a few nice home brews, you simply cannot force yourself to drink aussie megaswill anymore.

Head to the hofbrauhaus in the city and have a meal and few of the german beers on tap.

Then you will be on a mission to make nice beer like that.

Beers out,

Andy G

It's sure not my favourite either
I live in a very small town and the pub is the hub of life here,otherwise there's only a general store.
For this reason I go down and have a few beers a couple of times a week,mega swill is all there is on tap :blink:
Lets you appreciate you brews at home. :beer:

Batz

Hi Batz,
As you know, I live in a one pub, one "horse", one home brewer(me), town as well - (I would rather live where you live, but that is another story)
I am lucky that our "local" has Coopers Pale Ale on tap and a reasonable supply of most common brands of bottled beer (James Squire, Guinness and so on.)

Back to Mackas question, If you get a Grumpy's Aussie draught or similar you will be getting a brew that is simple to do and tastes like beer used to taste in Aus.

I have thought that the bread taste was from wheat in the beer (megaswill) but reading all the above comments makes me think about my concept more seriously.
The comment about dry hopping or late hopping with POR IMO is spot on.
This is a recipe for tipping the beer down the drain.
POR needs to be absolutely fresh (read brand new) before you try to use it for anything but a bittering addition.
I used some older POR in Mash hop and FW hop and tipped the lot out.
At the risk of going more OT I wont say any more about POR here. :unsure:
Cheers

I would suggest doing a mexican cerva (coopers kit) with 1.5kg of light malt extract instead of the suger they recomend

Brew with a US-56 Yeast instead of the undercap lid

The reason for the recomendation is your probably after a fairly low taste, no complex flavors beer (even thought the carlton does/can have that maltiness to it) this will probably is quite a good beer.

This comes out quite close to a corona, but with a little more fruitness, due to the ale yeast

I will admit that i started there, but now am loving the american pale ales, porters, stouts and pretty much anything else i can get my hands on

However, i will be brewing some low flavour low complexity lagers for the upcoming summer

Dave

Thanks guys

As I am quite a newby on the scene and am realising just how new I am to HB I can see that I have much to learn. By the sound of it most of you guys can brew up some shit hot tasting beer. I am looking to stick with what I know at the moment and am realy keen to get into serious brewing. I am keen to learn the arts and will apreiciate all feedback good and bad. These posts have opened my eyes to the fact that there are obviously some ecellent brews that you can do at home in the shed and I cant wait to find the one I like the best. Thanks again for all feedback.

Good on ya Macka. :beer:

You will find that the learning never ends mate! The more you learn, the more you want to learn. :blink:

Brew what tickles your todger and enjoy the craft.

Cheers, :beerbang:

JS

My first brew was the Coopers Sparkling kit with 1kg dextrose, nothing else (I didn't add any xtras, just used the dry yeast with the kit, wort, water and dextrose), and it ended up tasting like Carlton Draught. Pretty easy one to start with too!

Funny you shold say that BB. I have a coopers draft that i bottled last night. First one this time around.

:beerbang:

Would be good to get that taste.

Question?? Guys.

I have made up a cabinet with a light globe in it to keep the bottle temp at a constant 22 deg. How long should I keep the bottles in there until I unleish them on to the shelf in this cold weather in vic that is constantly down to -5 in the mornings in the shed? I have been told a week. Is this correct? :unsure:

Latest posts

Back