Rebuilding A Pub Style Tap - Any Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
i bought this tap off fleabay, mostly for the old school label it had attached to the top... now i want to use the tap

issue is, it's going to be installed onto the door of a fridge and the handle on/off positions are wrong...

when the handle is off it would hit the fridge door rather than being perpendicular to it.

the issue is caused by the location of the lugs in the top handle that run on a fixed cam in the bottom part of the tap...

the two opposing lugs in the pic below need to be in a different spot but i'm unsure how this part is fixed into the outer 'chrome' part... i don't want to just start whacking it with a BFH yet.

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

any ideas how these parts fit together and therefore come apart...

Checked ones i have in my shed, both look to me as if they are one piece. But if your tap handle isn't centred i'd suspect it'd have to be able to be removed (probably not easy). Make sure to give the insides a really good clean, plenty of crevices for bugs to hide in these taps. If you have access to a bench grinder with wire wheel and fabric buffing wheel you can buff the chrome off with the wire wheel and polish the brass with the buffing wheel, will come up ok and make it easier to clean the outside.

Best of Luck

Checked ones i have in my shed, both look to me as if they are one piece. But if your tap handle isn't centred i'd suspect it'd have to be able to be removed (probably not easy). Make sure to give the insides a really good clean, plenty of crevices for bugs to hide in these taps. If you have access to a bench grinder with wire wheel and fabric buffing wheel you can buff the chrome off with the wire wheel and polish the brass with the buffing wheel, will come up ok and make it easier to clean the outside.

Best of Luck

yep got the wire wheel and buff wheels, was going to do exactly that...

i just realised maybe i'm doing it wrong by trying to move the inner part... might be easier to move the outer...

If you strip the tap further down there might be a few settings you can put the handle back in.
I'm new at this and am trying to put up a photo.

SETTING.JPG

Sorry youre screwed
That tap was made for a V font. You would need a new handle, if you ring Andale or (something Japanese) Lancer you might get lucky (its a True-Flow tap by the way) and their usually assembled with silver solder, before its chromed, so I suspect it isnt coming apart easily.

MHB

Second tap shown above is an EK – different breed of fish entirely
M

Thanks MHB now that I know it is an EK are the refab kits common, will Anadle be a good start.

Sorry youre screwed
That tap was made for a V font. You would need a new handle, if you ring Andale or (something Japanese) Lancer you might get lucky (its a True-Flow tap by the way) and their usually assembled with silver solder, before its chromed, so I suspect it isnt coming apart easily.

oh well at least i know now....

seeing as i'm screwed.... i wonder i i heated it does silver solder melt... might as well stuff it completely, can't see anyone using it on a v font soon....

It might be possible to disassemble if you have a good enough torch and know what you're doing; I suspect it will be a lot easier to just buy a new handle. Either way good luck with it.

Service kits should be available for most common taps (EK certainly are) either from Andale or Lancer or from your home brew shop, worth doing every couple of years, a good lubricant is also a great investment.

MHB

; I suspect it will be a lot easier to just buy a new handle.

ok.

so i'm going to have a couple newbie/stupid/how long is a piece of string type questions here...

1. i assumed Andale were industry folk, do they do walk in cash sale punters like me? anyone know what they're like in Adelaide to deal with (next to vilis)

2. Would you have a ball park idea what it may cost to buy a new handle? (i'm being tight here trying to use a tap i already own...)

thanks again

Latest posts

Back