help disassembling taps for maintenance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduza

Reaction score
This setup is second hand, and I need to pull the taps to bits to clean them (I think). The handles wont move, though I haven't tried just forcing them (seems like a bad idea).

I'm not sure what all the parts are called, but when I try unscrewing what I've labelled the collar in the picture, it unscrews for a few turns and then hits the wall of what I've labelled the post.

Is it possible to do what I want without unscrewing the nuts on the inside of the post/font, and if so, any suggestions how? Part of my problem is not knowing exactly how they go together, therefore not knowing when I need to just put some more weetbix into it. I'm scared I'll damage something, but suspect it's just gummed up and I need to just turn something harder.

So, any advice welcomed :)

tap maintenance.jpg

When you undo the collar the tap will come away from it. The collar is part of the assembly coming through the font. The tap maybe be jammed up with old beer.

This setup is second hand, and I need to pull the taps to bits to clean them (I think). The handles wont move, though I haven't tried just forcing them (seems like a bad idea).

I'm not sure what all the parts are called, but when I try unscrewing what I've labelled the collar in the picture, it unscrews for a few turns and then hits the wall of what I've labelled the post.

Is it possible to do what I want without unscrewing the nuts on the inside of the post/font, and if so, any suggestions how? Part of my problem is not knowing exactly how they go together, therefore not knowing when I need to just put some more weetbix into it. I'm scared I'll damage something, but suspect it's just gummed up and I need to just turn something harder.

So, any advice welcomed :)

View attachment 118507
the gold coloured coller looks like it needs locking collar wrench

something similar to this in the photo should get that collar off

bunnings or hardware shop should have them

Attachments

• image-49.jpeg
    image-49.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 5
heat it with a hair drier and righty is loosy ;) so turn collar clockwise, collar will stay on shank and tap with thread will come off

Last edited:
Thanks guys, bit hard to turn by finger but 10 seconds with the heat gun and it leaked stale stout on the way out.

Back