Reassurance with first brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck in half of your 50 grams.

When you cold crash, it should sink to the bottom and give you no issues.

Your beer is sounding more and more tasty now.

Thanks guys for helping improve this brew, I don't want to get ahead of myself but I think for a first brew it might be a pretty good!

One final question about the dry hop :D Should I defrost the hops (their in the freezer) first, or throw them in frozen. Also, should I wait till the FG is lower then 1.015? Thanks again!

Get scales, pull hops from freezer, weigh out however many grams you waint, tip them in :D

Cheers.

I used to chuck em in commando until on an ipa hop particles kept blocking up the bottling wand but previpus to that i never had a problem. Chromesphere the fact that youve already onto temp control and concerned about sanitation and its only ya first brew shows ya gonna make some good beer

Did you have a good sniff first?

Nothing like the smell of hops straight from the freezer.

Forgot to mention that part, so my post should have been:

Get scales, pull hops from freezer, smell hops, weigh out however many grams you want, smell hops, tip them in, smell the rest of the hops in the bag before putting them back in the freezer :p

Cheers.

michaeld16 said:
I used to chuck em in commando until on an ipa hop particles kept blocking up the bottling wand but previpus to that i never had a problem.
Out of curiosity, how big was the dry hop?

My flagship brew, Six Banger DIPA has a 80gm dry hop, and havnt had that problem after a week at 1 degree, wondering if its something im doing or if you just had a ridiculous amount?

Agree with the latter part, he's onto it.

Was a long time ago before i could be bothered with cold crashing. Bout a 100g and i remember having alot of trub early on in the ferment

Edit speeling

Oh yeah, I sniffed the hell out of it. And forced everyone within a 30 meter radius to do the same :D

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have been preparing this first brew for about 6 weeks now, as I said early, I want to do it right the first time. That said, im leaving my expectations at the door. Honestly, if its even drinkable im going to be really happy!

Bomber Watson said:
If females smelt as good as fresh cascade pellets i'd probably be married......
They start out nice and fresh but degrade over time.... havnt tried keeping her in the freezer yet

chromesphere said:
Oh yeah, I sniffed the hell out of it. And forced everyone within a 30 meter radius to do the same :D

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have been preparing this first brew for about 6 weeks now, as I said early, I want to do it right the first time. That said, im leaving my expectations at the door. Honestly, if its even drinkable im going to be really happy!
Sounds like everything is going well.

I make my Mrs smell the hops. Everytime I do she says "I hate beer". Lol

Also too, if it tastes average at the end of fermentation, don't worry. Beer improves with age, so what would be an average beer at day 1 of bottling, is a fantastic beer 3 months on.

Thanks Panzerd. A friend of mine tasted it today. He agreed, tasted somewhere between, not very nice and marginally ok. but thought that it still tasted much like what he had brewed (a few years ago when he brewed). Also now the hops are in, might give it a bit more pizzazz.

Im not convinced that this brew still needs to ferment further (its still on 1.015). The first thing that comes up with google seach "coopers lager FG" is this:
https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/10672/

Im still hopeful that it will turn out ok. Time will tell!

So I will probably leave the hops for another 2 days (total of 3) then cold crash for, I guess, 3 more days?

If the specific gravity has not changed in 3 days then cold crash.

No worries Panzerd will do. There are 2 days left on the hops, the FG has been 1.015 for approx. 3 days, so it will be at FG 1.015 total of 5 by the time dry hopping is 'done'.

I have yet to try it, but a few lads here dry hop during cold crashing and have reported great results, so if i was in a bit of a pinch i wouldnt heasitate to cold crash wilst dry hopping.

That said, if it was me, i'd just let it ride out a few more days. By in a pinch i mean have to go away for a week ot so....

That said, im far from experienced......

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back