Real Ale - Recipe Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesbrew

Lover of Beer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Brewing this one up this weekend, For a lazy end to the summer.

Coopers Real Ale
1KG TCB Brew Booster
20g Nelson Sauvin (10g boil, 10g aroma)
And maybe a safale yeast if I get to the HB store before then.
I was thinking of adding some honey (300-500g).
Any suggestions on the honey addition?

Lose the honey. Go to the HB store, pick up a few hundred grams of crystal to steep, and some safale or nottingham yeast. Honey is too hit and miss over time, crystal gives some nice English ale characteristic sweetness, and also aids with head retention/body.

Should be interesting with the nelson sauvin :D

Lose the honey. Go to the HB store, pick up a few hundred grams of crystal to steep, and some safale or nottingham yeast. Honey is too hit and miss over time, crystal gives some nice English ale characteristic sweetness, and also aids with head retention/body.

Should be interesting with the nelson sauvin :D

Cheers, but I'm going to give the honey a try anyway. And yeah, the NS will be interesting! I used it in an Aussie Pale Ale before and really loved it. I think it might go well with the honey.
It's all about experimenting anyway.

I've only been brewing for a couple of months, but I picked up a Coopers Real Ale tin earlier this week (on special, yay), and I'm agonising over ingredients to use when I put it on.

I'm thinking of using:

the aforementioned Coopers Real Ale tin
1kg light dried malt extract
500g dextrose
15-20g Goldings hop pellets
Safale S-04 yeast (given it's a supermarket tin, who knows what the yeast in it is like)

Would I be on the right track there? Sorry for the kind-of-silly questions, but I'm still a complete newbie to the brewing scene. :)

-- Dean

Mine's ready for bottling. Not sure about the honey flavour, but it maaaaay have a bit too much Nelson Sauvin! (I upped it to about 30g) :blink:

I've only been brewing for a couple of months, but I picked up a Coopers Real Ale tin earlier this week (on special, yay), and I'm agonising over ingredients to use when I put it on.

I'm thinking of using:

500g dextrose
Safale S-04 yeast (given it's a supermarket tin, who knows what the yeast in it is like)

Would I be on the right track there? Sorry for the kind-of-silly questions, but I'm still a complete newbie to the brewing scene. :)

-- Dean

Don't apologise. If you don't ask you can't learn! I think you've not got a bad start there. It will be on the heavy side I think for an English ale but there's nothing wrong with that. It has been a while since I calculated with a kit so I'm not certain of that statement.

The Coopers yeasts are fine but S04 is an excellent dried yeast for English ales so it isn't a bad choice.

You also want to think about how long you want to boil your hops for, if that's what you intend to do with them.

I brewed a Coopers Real Ale recently I am pleased with the result.

Coppers Real Ale
500g DME
150g maltodextrin
250g Sucrose
250g Dextrose

15g Goldings for 15mins
15g Goldings at end

Safale US56

21L OG 1046 FG 1010

It is only a month old, but it shows promise. The beer is identical in colour to Abbot Ale (I had one in the fridge), and there is a nice planet bitterness and a slight caramel flavour (I would be a bit wary of adding to much extra crystal malt). It should improve over the next few months.

Bruce

I'm thinking of using:

500g dextrose

-- Dean

Have you brewed up your Real ale yet, Deanodriver?

Mine was bottled on friday night. Looks good but I think I overhopped it. I'll post again in a couple of weeks.

I am thinking of brewing a ale too
this is what I have got left over from brew fermenting now
400g Light dry malt
800g Dextrose
100g BE2
Finings clearing agent

now I am considering a coopers real ale kit- last time I made one it was a desaster although used 1kg of raw sugar ;)

keen to give it another go as lagers take to long for my 1st brew still going :blink: plus the temp does'nt have to be so low does it?

so just want to find out if I can use these left over ingredients in any way and also what would be a better ale can then coopers?as I dont have one yet wensdays brew shop day I will MHD then looking forward to that

anyway look forward to your comments as its a week in planning :rolleyes: :D

Mine turned out great. Not very honey-ish, and there's a fair kick from the Nelson Sauvin, but it goes down quite well.

Just got thumbs up from the workmates (including 2 of the girls) for it.
On the other hand, SWMBO almost threw up tasting it.... must have something to do with making her smell the hop packet when she was pregnant.

Women... go figure! :rolleyes:

Will bring it to the next Hills brewers Guild pizza night (it definitely will be the worst beer there, so it's looking good for me!)

Back