Re-gassing 50ltr Commercial Kegs.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddywillwill

Reaction score
hey guys
has anyone re-gassed and used commercial 50ltr CUB kegs (legal ones of course). i have 4 and heard you can re-gas them? how clean will they get if i cleaned then also can the seals be replaced easily?
Willis

hey guys
has anyone re-gassed and used commercial 50ltr CUB kegs (legal ones of course). i have 4 and heard you can re-gas them? how clean will they get if i cleaned then also can the seals be replaced easily?
Willis

Do you mean full or empty ? They can be used for brewing with a couple of mods :)

hey guys
Willis

You can use them but cleaning can be a chore. Pulling the stem all depends on the keg style. Some are easier then others. Gassing is the same as for a corney, just hook the keg up and turn on the gas. Biggest reason why they do not get used much is most home brewers either do not brew enough to fill them or do not want 50 liters of the same beer.

You could try cleaning them with a K'Archer or a Gerni. mine has an attachment to drop into a bucket of cleaning solution before you hit it with high preassure. The stem used to draw the beer up has a gas connection on it.

Get your keg coupler and run in 5L hot PBW from your fermenter via your PVC or silicon hose to the beer out on the coupler. Remove the little ball in the beer out of the coupler first so it can get in.
Shut off the tap and roll it around and make sure it gets a good cover inside for 30 min.
Open the coupler and release any pressure. Point it away from you so you dont get a shower.
Turn it upside down and let the liquid run into a bucket out the gas in. A bit of PVC tube can help here too. I sit the keg on a couple of saw horses so you can get at the tap and gravity helps get the liquid out.
Once empty, repeat the process twice or thrice with hot water.
You can run a bit of starsan or iodophor through the same way if you want really clean.
To fill I place the keg upside down under the fermenter and run the beer in the gas in and when beer runs out the beer out the keg is full.
All done with the spear intact.

To gas, put on 40psi for 2 days and away you go.

They are heavy buggers though. The cornys are much easier.

Haven't replaced any seals yet, I'll let you know when I do.

Back