Raspberry Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sid

Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering if it's worth modifying a coopers stout kit (a 1/2 batch..12litrs) with a 1/2 kg of frozen raspberries/choc malt/oats/hops.
I don't know whether a stout would be good chioce for this since it would have strong flavours that might over power the raspberry.......should I go for a lighter beer to get more of the raspberry flavour coming through?

Just don't want to waste the raspberries heheh, damn expensive.

thanks, Sid

I would go with either a lager or cerveza kit, something with minimal flavour in it, and from what I've read you might need a couple of kilos of rasberry's to get alot of flavour

Raspberry wheat is a fairly common one too. Flavours would work well in that.

I do remember seeing a few times, barmen adding a generous splash of grenadine to pints of guinness for the ladies, so maybe try sitting down with a pint of stout and some grenadine, add a little , taste, add a little, taste and see what you think.

:icon_cheers: SJ

I did a mulberry stout the other year but it wasn't too crash hot. But I also want to do a raspberry stout anyway.

Do the search for fruit in beers threads.
With a stout you'll definitely need more fruit to shine through the stoutiness.

If anything, rack your stout into a secondary with the berries, as the primary strips a lot of flavour. That'll get your moneys worth.
I'd go easy on the hops, as you want to taste berries in this one.

Good luck
Pete

thanks for the replies.........might need a lighter beer for this by the sound of it. I'll check out some morelinks on here about the fruit.

Back