Rare Aussie Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just going to reopen the debate, last night I got my hands on bottle No 0019, I believe there were only 2500 of the 1st anniversary bottled, they did it again for the 10th anniversary in 1978 but a much larger release.
0019 will eventually go on show at the West Australian library of beer history in a small brewery just south of Perth, no opening dates yet.

What a gift, chap bought this in today for me to see. On 15th August 1969 the then Courage Breweries Limited bottled a commemorative beer celebrating the first brew produced at their Broadmeadows Brewery. A numbered bottle was presented to each publican who put Courage on tap.

The beer with an OG of 1087 was fermented down to 17% proof (whatever that is in ABV), matured/cold conditioned for three months and then bottled in a champagne bottle with wired cork.

Looks like at least one Australian brewery was capable of brewing something other than megaswill, however don't think such a beer would have made it in the 1969 marketplace. Nice to see that one brewery made the effort.

This is bottle number 2290. According to a 1974 newspaper article a number of the bottles were insured then for $150. Wonder what his gift would be worth today.

Pics:

View attachment 6400

View attachment 6401

Conversely, The Odd Angry Shot was awesome.
The beer selection? War is indeed hell.

qJJBsWV.jpg
That's Graeme Kennedy with his back to the camera and I think that is John Jarrett at right rear. Jarrett did some really good acting performances in that movie and Picnic at Hanging Rock, it's amazing that his career didn't really take off. Kennedy was surprisingly good in a serious role too.

Last edited:
Ah the memories and what a score!

I was brought up and went to school virtually next door to the brewery in Upfield. I can always remember the smell of the hops on a good day. Certainly explains my hobby. :)

Old man was a big fan of Courage Draught and Crest. You used to get a 1 Litre bottle for 4 cents less than a 750ml of VB. Such frugality. :lol:

Tempted to crack the bottle and and take a sip? :ph34r:

Warren -
Hi, I worked there for about ten years until it finally closed

I was brought up and went to school virtually next door to the brewery in Upfield. I can always remember the smell of the hops on a good day. Certainly explains my hobby. :)

Old man was a big fan of Courage Draught and Crest. You used to get a 1 Litre bottle for 4 cents less than a 750ml of VB. Such frugality. :lol:

Warren -
Hi, I worked there for about ten years until it finally closed.
I have a bottle of this our number is 2321 . Do you have any idea what it's worth.
Each employee got one as well, I have number1487, when it shut down we all got a carton of 1 litre bottles of " the last drop" label by Weg. Very strong brew that one. Still have one left.
y closed

Attachments

• DSCN0480.JPG
    DSCN0480.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Warren -
I worked there for ten years, great job, free beer, sad it's gone.

Was there any connection in ownership or copyright with England's Courage, a major brand at the time?

It was the tap beer at the my College (Canberra) in the late 70's, I was told it was brewed under license to the UK Courage. I remember that the last keg (1978-79) was set up as free beer to get people to go to a concert early, so we all went early, finished the keg in 20mins, and then went out and back to the bar until the concert started. I must admit it wads the only time that I drank it.

That's definitely the English Courage rooster on that bottle. remember it well from drinking it in the 70's on my OE in London. Was pretty bad as was all the beer in those days. I still remember turning up in Sydney from NZ and getting a beer in the pub that was so cold we had to leave it on the bar for a minute or two to warm up. I don't think that it was great beer not that we noticed NZ beer was pretty poor back then as well.

What a gift, chap bought this in today for me to see. On 15th August 1969 the then Courage Breweries Limited bottled a commemorative beer celebrating the first brew produced at their Broadmeadows Brewery. A numbered bottle was presented to each publican who put Courage on tap.

The beer with an OG of 1087 was fermented down to 17% proof (whatever that is in ABV), matured/cold conditioned for three months and then bottled in a champagne bottle with wired cork.

Looks like at least one Australian brewery was capable of brewing something other than megaswill, however don't think such a beer would have made it in the 1969 marketplace. Nice to see that one brewery made the effort.

This is bottle number 2290. According to a 1974 newspaper article a number of the bottles were insured then for $150. Wonder what his gift would be worth today.

Pics:

View attachment 6400

View attachment 6401
No Idea, as much as a collector is willing to pay I guess.

Cheers,

Screwy
Number 1487, I had several bottles, plus a full carton of the last drop, ( the last beer brewed at the brewery ) these are all I have left.

Attachments

• 240514034_10157951512931394_8010641733409178769_n.jpg
    240514034_10157951512931394_8010641733409178769_n.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back