Randall In Kanberra?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score
Fellow beer-lovers,

I tasted the Randallised Ad-Hop ale on Monday (lunchtime). Very hoppy (if a little grassy) and with somewhat lingering resinousness. In fact, the flavour stayed with me for a significant part of my journey back to Newcastle. The hop in the perspex-y Randall unit is Super Pride from the recent Victorian harvest, according to Richard (IIRC).

The Super Pride is hanging all over the place in the pub. Well, over the bar, anyway. I initially thought that it was plastic hop flowers, but they were papery and quite resiny...aromatic too!

There is also an Autumn Ale seasonal which reeks (in a good way) of hops. Tasted it on Saturday arvo, on a scouting/sampling mission, b4 I returned that evening.

Over the weekend, I also sampled some of the other beers. OK, I sampled them all, except for the (unavailable) Belgian Wit-style. Some, I sampled only a few sips, and others by the middy. I missed out on a full glass of the beer-engined Best Bitter and the (Yankee) Pale Ale, as well as the light beer (Mr Natural).

It's a bit weird drinking low-carbonated warmish beer at a venue other than my home. I got used to it quickly though.

There wasn't a beer that I wouldn't drink again, except maybe the Irish Red, which I found a little bitter for the style and a bit gassy. I thought it should have been pumped rather than "from the tap".

Taste 'em all for yourself and let me know.

Also, had a chat with Richard (owner?) about wheat beer/ weizen yeast and fresh hop flowers for Randall. He was quite busy and I appreciated the time he took out to chat. I also caught up with a homebrewer, who had dropped in for a lunch time beer after moving house. I didn't have time to chat coz my parking meter was about to run out and I had to get home. If it was an AHB'er, please let me know.

Giddy-up!
Seth the beer correspondent :p

Yes the beers are great, Richard is the head brewer and you wouldn't find a nicer bloke, he will answer any questions that you through at him or for that matter give advice if you ask.

We a lucky here in Canberra Richard and the former head brewer another Richard are both active members of our Brew club.

So this Randallised Ad-Hop ale is made entirely with super pride? This is interesting - I've been quite curious about this hop. Might need to try it some time...

Ah, I don't think that the beer has all Super Pride.
I was only advised that the Randall hops were Super.

I just assumed that the other hops were a standard APA, but who could tell after Randall got 2 it? It was all still quite balanced though, and I could still taste the maltiness, too.

So many mysteries...

Seth

Latest posts

Back