Rainwater? Good or bad

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the end I don't know why you guys on tank water are worrying, your making a carcinogenic toxin anyway.
[/quote]
You seem to be the only one concerned about tank water. The guys who use tank water seem comfortable with it.

Now be fair goomboogo, there is more than me with concerns, I have 13 tanks on my property but wouldn't use tank water unless as MHB stated I got the water analysed.

But you have to admit the lengths home brewers go to, to keep chemicals out, is the plastic HDPE, even though those who 'no chill go over the 74 degrees C into a plastic drum, best not use brass fittings and taps because of the lead content, some won't even use aluminium pots, and a recent thread about using water out of the hot water service for brewing!

Yet it warms the cockles of the heart that we happily make and ingest ethanol, which is metabalised into acetaldehyde and that is a group 1 carcinogen, we are quite happy to run the risk of cardiovascular and liver disease along with damage to our nervous system and accept that we will possibly also gain weight, leading to other ailments.

I might take up smoking, my grandparents smoked all their lives and they are in their nineties now, so there cant be anything wrong with that.

I don't think rain water from the tank would be a bad thing but it would surely be lacking in some of the beneficial minerals & chemicals that help us all grain brewer's achieve the optimum pH for our mash. I'm on town water & get an updated water analysis chart from my council every 3 months & looking at the amount of crap they put into it to make it safe is a bit scary. Compare that to rain water & I can see the reasons why people would prefer to use it if they had the choice. Like Ross pointed out, carbon filtering before using it is the way to go. I'd have no hesitation in using it but I'd be a bit dubious about using it straight from the tank. At least run it through some carbon.

Weal, every one of us exhibits contradictions every single day.

Regarding tank water; the suggestion to have it tested is a good one. Tank water in a rural area is going to be different to tank water in smog enveloped, major city.

wide eyed and legless said:
Chemicals and heavy metals will not be removed by active carbon, who is to say how effective the carbon filter is that one purchases, even if you stepped it up to a reverse osmosis there is still no guarantee it will be efficient enough to remove everything plus it would probably remove more water than you would want.

In the end I don't know why you guys on tank water are worrying, your making a carcinogenic toxin anyway.
You just cant help yourself can you

In the end, those on tank water are not worrying, only you :)

Ducatiboy stu said:
You just cant help yourself can you

In the end, those on tank water are not worrying, only you :)
Why would I be worrying, I use tap water, but if I didn't have tap water I would be using tank water, as I said, we are producing something far far more toxic than we would get out of a tank, heavy metals included. :)

To the OP
Tank water in AG = GOOD..............Wort is boiled as part of the process.

Tank water in K&K = possibly NOT good............ BOIL to ENSURE it is GOOD.

You city folk amaze me.

I used to use tank water in the odd kit I did, un filterd, not boiled...etc..etc

Beer was fine

As they say, if if it is good enough to drink, then it is good enough to brew with.

Active yeast will tend to stop most deadly pathogens from taking over

Feel sorry for the poor precious city folk...

I used to drink water straight from the inland rivers,...the Murrumbidgee, Darling, Gwyder, Murray, Lachlan.....dip the old mug straight in, drink it neat....still alive to tell the city folk that it can be done B)

Ducatiboy stu said:
Feel sorry for the poor precious city folk...

I used to drink water straight from the inland rivers,...the Murrumbidgee, Darling, Gwyder, Murray, Lachlan.....dip the old mug straight in, drink it neat....
You were lucky....when I was a kid we were happy for the price of a cup of tea, without milk, or sugar, or tea!!

city2_stl_1_h_1600x900.jpg

Batz said:
You city folk amaze me.
If this was directed at me. Read my post #42

P.S. The bats from the army reserve also shit on my roof.

superstock said:
P.S. The bats from the army reserve also shit on my roof.

Wouldn't drink it without Bat shit!! RAHAHB superstock :beerbang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Batz....shit.

The way people are divided on this issue maybe the question should be "Is judging home brewed beers really a wise choice as a hobby?"

Also think about someone who brews with well water in a fracking zone, if a smoker was in the area when you opened it ........... Kabooooom! :lol:

Latest posts

Back