'quick-ties' For Securing Keg Gas And Beer Lines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
Someone suggested the use of the quick-ties to secure the gas and beer lines on the barbed fitting

I am in the process of replumbing the gas and beer lines and this sounded a good alternative that will save me maybe $12 they can only be used on the nicely sharp barbs

has anyone used them I was checking out some peoples keggy pictures and some people dont eb=ven put pipe clips on the beer lines .

Can you help me ???

Pumpy :)

I use Otiecker clamps...

Because taht is what is used in the Beer industry.

Oetiker two ear clamps

Oetiker_two_ear_clamps.JPG

Thats them Pumpy.As an alternative to q ties have you thought about those reticulation clamps that grip tighter as you squeeze them and are reusable.

Cheers
Big D

Pumpy - I wouldn't have an issue using zip ties for this function, I'd probably use a size slightly smaller than the barb to ensure a good seal - maybe even use two per connection - at a pinch. 'Scuse the pun!

I have used zip ties for a huuuuge number of tasks - never fails to surprise me how good they are.

Cheers - Mike

Pumpy,

Switch to John Guest quick release fittings, no clamps needed - cheap & infinately better than using barbed connectors.

Equal_Tee.JPG QD_to_JG.jpg

cheers Ross

didnt know these were available ross , will definately get them next time i buy ball locks.... or are the barbed types convertable??
i have started to use these types of fitiing for tee's and other stuff and theyre the goods thats for sure ..

not sure about using cable ties , perhaps in an emergency but not as a permanent solution ...

will definately get them next time i buy ball locks.... or are the barbed types convertable??

No the barbed ones arn't convertable

Yep, they are great fittings - I can't understand why HBS's (or anyone for that matter) would mess around with cups of boiling water to stretch lines over barbs, while trying to get everything lined up. The JG fittings take seconds to put together & with each line being free to swivel, you have no worries about fitting orientation.
I'm rekitting my whole system out with these, really pissed I didn't know about them when I set my system up.

cheers Ross

Cough ............. retail ............... cough

Cheers

Cough ............. retail ............... cough

Cheers

Not at all - what's one supposed to answer - I don't know :p

P.S. As 2 of us answered together - I've deleted mine :)

Cheers Ross

Pumpy

With a bit of trickery plain/cheap old cable ties work really well.

What I do is when the line is on the barb. I soak it in hot water for a few seconds. Then I pull the cable tie over the soft plastic of the line. Then get some needle-nose pliers and carefully pull the cable tie as tightly as possible. When the line cools and hardens it tends to form it's own crimp and secures well. :)

Hope this helps.

Warren -

[I can't understand why HBS's (or anyone for that matter) would mess around with cups of boiling water to stretch lines over barbs, while trying to get everything lined up. The JG fittings take seconds to put together & with each line being free to swivel, you have no worries about fitting orientation.

Because I use laboratory grade silicone for beer line. It add no flavour at all to the beer and stays flexible at fridge temps. Great stuff but if I was to use John Guest fittings I would have to attache the beer line to a John Guest barb first.

Cheers
MAH

Pumpy

With a bit of trickery plain/cheap old cable ties work really well.

What I do is when the line is on the barb. I soak it in hot water for a few seconds. Then I pull the cable tie over the soft plastic of the line. Then get some needle-nose pliers and carefully pull the cable tie as tightly as possible. When the line cools and hardens it tends to form it's own crimp and secures well. :)

Hope this helps.

Warren -

Thanks Warren ;) I will give that idea a go

Thanks Ross now you tell me after I just bought the barb fitting and swivel kit from you !!!!

Will the John Guest fittings fit on the swivel kit :blink:

Pumpy,

I stocked the mfl & swivel kit after several people on here raved about them, & I have to agree they're much better than the standard barbed QD's - However, since then I've discovered the JG fittings, which for standard beer/gas line are the ducks nuts IMO. The Quick release fitting screws directly on the mfl QD as replacement to the swivel kit. If you want to upgrade, send me a pm & I'll give you a cost price on them.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross now you tell me after I just bought the barb fitting and swivel kit from you !!!!

Will the John Guest fittings fit on the swivel kit :blink:

Pumpy,

I stocked the mfl & swivel kit after several people on here raved about them, & I have to agree they're much better than the standard barbed QD's - However, since then I've discovered the JG fittings, which for standard beer/gas line are the ducks nuts IMO. The Quick release fitting screws directly on the mfl QD as replacement to the swivel kit. If you want to upgrade, send me a pm & I'll give you a cost price on them.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross all is not lost I may be all right for a while .

Back