Quick Questions And Recipe Checks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouapp12

Reaction score
Hey, im planning on getting a BIAB setup soon and I have a few questions, in the past ive tried not to post stupid questions but im getting lazier so I thought id make a thread to dump them in

do i have to e-mail my council for a water profile or can i steal it off someone else on here from Melbourne?
dose someone have a link on water manipulation handy, or again can someone from Melbourne tell me what they do?

Can you use your own malt extract for starters? I thought if I made a batch and transfer it to PET bottles I could keep it in the fridge for a few months and use them for starters? or just drink them, that shit tastes good

Also im planning on starting with some super basic 20L recipes that will meet the bare requirements of said styles, so before I buy the grain, are they destined to totally miss the mark?
(note: target was the ideal, i think I'll need to find another kind of bittering hop)

bitter
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
20.00 gm Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 31.7 IBU

stout
3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
0.50 kg Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 14.29 %
25.00 gm Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 38.3 IBU

pale ale
4.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
25.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU

cheers, jake

Jake

You can use your wort for starters just thoroughly sanitise some bottles and freeze the extract until needed. At least that is whati do. Dont worry to much as you can make a quick starter with LDME.

Download the trial version of beersmith and plug your recipes in, it will give you a direction for styles

Use Goldings or Fuggles for your bitter and you need more additions at 30min and 10min to bring out some hop flavour/aroma.

The stout should be fine but check some recipes in the database and match them up.

The Pale ale could be higher in hop additions and amount to really bring it into style especially with cascade, look at useing ammarillo or centenial for bittering as they are higher AA% with the same citrus flavour/aroma.

Look for easy recipes in the database to start asyou know you should get a decent beer out of them

Kleiny

thanks for the response Kleiny, much appreciated

also where do you people get the 50L kegs you've converted to pots?

I use the last runnings from my mash tun for starters, usually only when I'm brewing a lighter beer though. I don't sanitise the bottles i put it into as it needs to be boiled later anyway to sanitise. When I thaw them, I take a gravity reading and then bump it up to 1.040 with LDME (if necessary) and boil it for 10-15 minutes in the flask I'm going to make the starter in. As soon as I stop the boil, I cover it with alfoil and whack it in the freezer compartment of my fermenting fridge to cool. Once down to pitching temp, I pitch the yeast and then fit a sanitised airlock and grommet and whack it on the stir plate.

Pretty sure many here do similar...

Latest posts

Back