Quick Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchDudarko

Reaction score
I'm going to put down a toucan tomorrow.
1 x Morgans Australian Lager
1 x Morgans Australiain Draught
500g x LDME

Should I only use one of the yeasts from the cans? I wanted to get Saflager, but my LHBS doesn't stock it.

Cheers
Mitch :)

500g x LDME

Should I only use one of the yeasts from the cans? I wanted to get Saflager, but my LHBS doesn't stock it.

Cheers

The common answer here would be to use a differnet yeast... A saflager is going to need to be fermented at a lower temp (10-12degrees).
Im not sure how new you are too brewing (im a pretty new) But i have had alot of sucess with the kit yeasts...
Although i do normally opt for Different Ale yeasts. (I only have spot for 1 lager in my wine fridge, and since its fermenting at a lower temperature it takes a hell of a lot longer, So i normally make 6 ale brews to every 1 lager brew)

but their all lager tasting beers (just not techinally a lager due to yeast fermenting at top instead of bottom like lager)

If you can't get any better yeast, use both of them. Kit yeasts are notoriously dodgy and usually have reduced viability, so the more you pitch the better.

Kit yeasts are usually dodgey - but the new chairman's range from Morgans has 15 gm Satchets of premium of English ale or lager yeasts - depending on can - very good.

Just tastesed a Morgans Mcelroy Stout brrewed with the can english ale yeast - pretty sure it is danstar windsor ale yeast - nice. Added a black stump stout bag from Brewmaker....

Hope this helps.

500g x LDME

Cheers

Mitch,

Have you done a toucan before? I reckon using 2 hopped cans in 22 litres of liquor will make for a very hoppy brew.

Let us know how it turns out.

cheers
Dave

Have you done a toucan before? I reckon using 2 hopped cans in 22 litres of liquor will make for a very hoppy brew.

I did a quick toucan for a party keg once.

was
1 coopers canadian blonde
1 coopers pale
200g of cyrstal steeped
50g chocolate steeped
10g each of horizon and amarillo steeped

fermented with SAF-04.

Turned out quite good as a quasi IPA with a good reception from all who enjoyed.

the only downside i felt was the ISO hop from the cans is quite astringent. This brew was left to age for 3 months before drinking. I had a taste after 1 month in the keg and was a little harsh, the aging did it justice.

Kit yeasts are usually dodgey - but the new chairman's range from Morgans has 15 gm Satchets of premium of English ale or lager yeasts - depending on can - very good.

Just tastesed a Morgans Mcelroy Stout brrewed with the can english ale yeast - pretty sure it is danstar windsor ale yeast - nice. Added a black stump stout bag from Brewmaker....

Hope this helps.

Strange that there is nothing on the Morgansbrewing website about 'Chairman's Range' kits unless they are somewhere else that I have not stumbled across yet.

Latest posts

Back