Quick Keg Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkeysers

Reaction score
I know a lot of you probly saw this thread and straight away thought "Why didn't he use the search?". Well, truth is I did. I have seen the Forced carbonation method, but my situation is a little different in that I can't use this method as it's sposed to be used.

OK. I have a keg setup in my fridge, the gas bottle sits on top and the line comes into the fridge through a small hole drilled through the side. It's all very neat, without hose running everywhere. However, because of this, i'm not able to use the shake, rattle and roll method of quick carbonation, I simply don't have enough length in my gas line. Usually, I would just turn the dial up to 100, leave it for a week or 2, and away I go. However, I wanna use this keg this Sunday, so I want to get it gassed up a bit quicker.

When I searched around there were a lot of different answers. 300kpa seemed to be a popular level, but some said to leave it at that for 12 hours, some said 24 hours, I think I even saw 48 hours.

So, my question is, how do I quickly carbonate a keg without shaking it? I was just about ready to put the gas on 300 for 24-36 hours, then dial it back down to 100 after that and pour away on Sunday. But I thought seeing as I still had a few days to play with, I would ask here. For the record, my fridge is around 3-4oC

:super:

you will never get a straight answer to that question. you're best bet it to dial it right up and then pour yourself a beer every 6 or so hours at serving pressure (vent the pressure first) to test carbonation

you will never get a straight answer to that question.
Hmmm, not good. Was hoping I could find some kind of rough guide, if not a definite answer.

you're best bet it to dial it right up and then pour yourself a beer every 6 or so hours at serving pressure (vent the pressure first) to test carbonation
Also not good. My kegs don't have the pressure relief valves. Usually, I just push down on the "In" keg post but in general I try not to put too much pressure in their to begin with.

As a rough guide, not taking the amount of atmospheres required into consideration, turn the reg up to approx 200kpa for 48 hours and then back to whatever you serve at for the remainder of the week. :D

Hey I.L.Chicken....
i have force carbed my mini kegs and the odd corny using my little CO2 charger and bulbs..!!!!
all i do is pump the head space full of CO2 then take the charger off, shake for 10 seconds, put the charger back on to fill the head space again and then let it sit for a whiles....
i repeat this process a few times, then let it sit over night. tap the keg the next night and try it, the times i have done this i've got it close to spot on, so you should able to sort it pretty quickly.

You should be able to do the same thing, by just taking the gas off and shaking outside your fridge.

Edit: ooops, just re-read your post, you have till sunday.. which is plenty of time

When I searched around there were a lot of different answers. 300kpa seemed to be a popular level, but some said to leave it at that for 12 hours, some said 24 hours, I think I even saw 48 hours.

So, my question is, how do I quickly carbonate a keg without shaking it? I was just about ready to put the gas on 300 for 24-36 hours, then dial it back down to 100 after that and pour away on Sunday. But I thought seeing as I still had a few days to play with, I would ask here. For the record, my fridge is around 3-4oC

:super:
There's a lot of difference because it depends on your particular setup (keg size, fridge temp, line length, etc) so I can only comment on my personal experience. I find 300kpa for 36 hours to be spot on. :super:

300kpa overnight, then slowly wind down the pressure to 100kpa over the next day works ok for me.

There's a lot of difference because it depends on your particular setup (keg size, fridge temp, line length, etc) so I can only comment on my personal experience. I find 300kpa for 36 hours to be spot on. :super:

The keg is a 19l Corny, the fridge is running between 3-4 degrees, my gas line is approx. 1.2m long, and my 2 beer lines are both between 3-3.5m long (although I am only gassing one keg at this stage.

With putting the gas to 300kpa for any length of time, how critical is it to relieve the pressure considering i'm probly gonna have the gas back at serving pressure (100kpa) for a day or 2 afterwards? I just don't wanna make a mess, i'd rather avoid relieving pressure if I can, but if I have to, then I have to.

Once it's carbed to your liking then leave it as is, 100kpa or whatever pressure you require. :D
PS. Just relieve the excess pressure through the beerline into a jug and give it a taste test.

The keg is a 19l Corny, the fridge is running between 3-4 degrees, my gas line is approx. 1.2m long, and my 2 beer lines are both between 3-3.5m long (although I am only gassing one keg at this stage.

With putting the gas to 300kpa for any length of time, how critical is it to relieve the pressure considering i'm probly gonna have the gas back at serving pressure (100kpa) for a day or 2 afterwards? I just don't wanna make a mess, i'd rather avoid relieving pressure if I can, but if I have to, then I have to.
I'm a little confused why you can't relieve the pressure. :huh: I've never seen cornies with no relief valve but if they don't then doesn't your reg bleed the excess pressure when you turn it down?

You definitely need to depressurise it somehow after the 36 hours otherwise it'll be over carbed so if all else fails, use razz's suggestion of turning the reg down and pouring the beer out of the tap into a bucket. You'll waste a little bit but it will bleed off the excess pressure.

I'm a little confused why you can't relieve the pressure. :huh: I've never seen cornies with no relief valve but if they don't then doesn't your reg bleed the excess pressure when you turn it down?

My mate has kegs that have the pressure release valves on top, the little ring pull thingy. Mine dont have anything on the lids at all. So I usually have to push a keg post stopper springy thing in to relieve pressure.

Isn't my english great? :D

If turning down the pressure to 100kpa and leaving it for a couple of days after 36 hours at 300kpa means I don't have to relieve the pressure, then thats what i'll do.

Maybe I should look into some new corny lids...

whats wrong with getting a quick connect pnuematic style t-peice or even just a straight joiner and adding long enough line to allow you to quick carb the shake and stir way ??? remove the line again when your done to keep things neat and tidy ???

Just set the pressure to your balance point (your setup is balanced isn't it?) then rock the keg for a minute or two in situ every time you walk past the fridge until it's carbed.

There is no risk of overcarbonating as you've set the reg to the pressure you want. There is no need for additional hosing as the keg will only be rocking 6-12 inches at a time. There is no need to lift the keg in and out of the fridge.

It's what I do and it works every time. You could speed the process up a little by increasing the pressure to double or triple your target for the first couple minutes of rocking, then back it down to your target for the final shakes.

Just set the pressure to your balance point (your setup is balanced isn't it?) then rock the keg for a minute or two in situ every time you walk past the fridge until it's carbed.

There is no risk of overcarbonating as you've set the reg to the pressure you want. There is no need for additional hosing as the keg will only be rocking 6-12 inches at a time. There is no need to lift the keg in and out of the fridge.

It's what I do and it works every time. You could speed the process up a little by increasing the pressure to double or triple your target for the first couple minutes of rocking, then back it down to your target for the final shakes.

Yeah, I have a balanced system. I was under the impression that the keg had to be lying down for shaking to have an effect (so the gas goes straight into the beer)?

I can give it a try, but the fridge is seriously small (it JUST fits 2 kegs), and my line length very restrictive. I don't know how much shaking i'll be able to do.

Why not do a variation on the rocking method? Connect the gas line, introduce some pressure, shake it around out of the fridge, connect the gas, add more pressure, shake it around, add gas line... then connect at pouring pressure for the rest of the week?

Yeah, I have a balanced system. I was under the impression that the keg had to be lying down for shaking to have an effect (so the gas goes straight into the beer)?

I can give it a try, but the fridge is seriously small (it JUST fits 2 kegs), and my line length very restrictive. I don't know how much shaking i'll be able to do.

I've got a fair bit of headroom in my fridge, so I can rock the buggers thru about 60 degrees. Just splashing the top of the beer around creates more surface area, which will take in CO2. Sloshing it around lets the dissolved CO2 work its way into the whole keg (ie, not just the top of the beer having a saturated layer), which is how this helps. Not quite as effective as the "pump it up like a car tyre and dance with it" method, but more effective than just gas with no agitation.

100 rocks at 300 kpa gasses a keg for me and only takes a minute. Let it settle for a minute then slowly reduce the pressure to your pouring pressure and drink.

Latest posts

Back