Quick Crash Chilling Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmut

Reaction score
When you crash chill a beer for 24 hours + , do you have to warm it back up at all before bottling, or can you bottle straight from the fridge.

Cheers,

Leon

When you crash chill a beer for 24 hours + , do you have to warm it back up at all before bottling, or can you bottle straight from the fridge.

Cheers,

Leon

Ok to bottle at the chill temp, you obviously need to bring the bottles back up in temp to bottle condition though.

Ok to bottle at the chill temp, you obviously need to bring the bottles back up in temp to bottle condition though.

could you explain this a bit more in depth for me?

thanks heaps - just trying to understand it all a bit better

<rant> finally, so glad to read crash chilling. I'm sick of people referring to CC as "cold crashing". that doesn't even make sense! grrr! ::shakes fist:: </rant>

on topic, you can bottle at any temp. For the beer to condition and carbonate it has to be warm enough for the yeast to be working; the bottles should be raised from your crash chill temp for this purpose.

<rant> finally, so glad to read crash chilling. I'm sick of people referring to CC as "cold crashing". that doesn't even make sense! grrr! ::shakes fist:: </rant>

on topic, you can bottle at any temp. For the beer to condition and carbonate it has to be warm enough for the yeast to be working; the bottles should be raised from your crash chill temp for this purpose.

so if i bottle at chill temp, then just leave it in a cupboard to gradually get up to room temp, it will start carbonating once it gets warmer?

I thought it was cold conditioning :p

bottling at CC temps can be prefferable because it reduces foaming. The yeast won't die off and when they warm back up they will still carbonate.

cool

this should save me watching the clock all day waiting for room temp ;)

The advantage of bottling or kegging straight out of cold conditioning, assuming that you have now got nice clear beer, is that - especially with ales - you can have a sneaky glass or three to make the job more enjoyable :icon_drunk:
On that point because that would probably be the next question, even a very clear beer into the bottle will still have enough yeast cells to carb up the beer.

I thought it was cold conditioning :p
Ditto

I don't wanna start a new thread, so ill ask my quick crash chilling question here:
Dry hopping and crash chilling, for best performance should the hops be added before CC or will it do the same job at CC temps?

I believe you get better extraction, or at least faster extraction, at warmer temperatures. TBN have a couple of shows on dryhopping if you're interested, which is probably where I gleaned that tidbit from.

Cheers,

Leon

I quite often bottle a 2deg and then store the bottles at room temp for a few weeks to carb up. doing this gives a clearer beer and less sediment..

Latest posts

Back