Quick Brew , adding extra hops to recipe, quick question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctr-dan

Reaction score
I wanted to throw down a quick brew and pick up a 150 lashes clone from country brewer

1x Can of Wals wheat beer

150g of vienna grain steeped for 20mins

500g of dextrose
250g light malt
250g maltodextrin

12 g amarillo which ill stand in a mug of warm water.

My question is Ive also got some galaxy and some centennial. Could I throw some of these in to make it a bit more hoppy.

Im not concerned if its no longer like 150 lashes at all

I don't know what yeast they supply but I do have some snaffle s-04

Have you tried throwing this into brewing software to see what it comes up with? You can certainly use those hops together (eg. bittering with Galaxy and late additions of Amarillo & Centennial) but depends what is in that can of Wheat already. Would expect it is lightly hopped though being Wheat.

Im notvery say when it comes to brewing software.

The can of wheat is hopped as well but I have no idea what with.

The wort is cooling now and Ive tossed in the amarillo.

I haven't pitched the yeast yet as its to hot still

All good, worst case scenario is that you have made beer! Head to Brewer's Friend (link at the top of the page) and add in your ingredients. Is fairly easy to use once you click around a bit and can use for free to save up to 5 recipes. Helps you keep a track of what you have brewed and also understand more about styles & process efficiency. Enjoy!

You could always dry hop with the galaxy the combination would all work togther well and probably taste better than 150 lashes

Beamer said:
You could always dry hop with the galaxy the combination would all work togther well and probably taste better than 150 lashes
I put this down on Monday is to late if not how much would you recommend?

With Galaxy i wouldnt dry hop any more than 5 days from bottle/kegging, i find 4 is safe for a big aroma so no your not too late just let it reach its FG then dry hop, you can use socks but i just carefully put mine in then FV. I would do around 1g/l for dry hopping. Hope this helps

I'd definitely go with dry hopping with galaxy at Beamer's suggested rate of 1g/L. Doing so 4 days before bottling is wise also, as galaxy can add grassy flavours if dry hopped too early( not that I've experienced this personally)

Bit late to the party but was a temperature specified for the vienna 'steep'?

manticle said:
Bit late to the party but was a temperature specified for the vienna 'steep'?
It said to sit it in 1 litre of boiling water for 30mins.

I did 1litre of 70 degree water for 30 mins from memory

Odd instructions for a base malt. 70 is the upper edge of saccharification and an ok choice but boiling would not be my recommendation.

Next time you are in, ask them why they include base rather than specialty malt in their kit.

I would've thought boiling any malt would be an odd recommendation. Hopefully they meant that it should be steeped, removed and then the resulting wort boiled.

Unless decocting (obviously not the case) then boiling would be. While not my approach though, steeping spec malt in water that has just been boiling is a touch more forgiveable than putting a small handful of base in it. Temperature is a lot more crucial with base although to actually boil either would be extra poor advice from the hbs.

Up to personal preference. Depending on where and how it is used, chinook tends towards deep, dank pine resin.

Dry hopp x grams per litre into the fermenter x days before kegging.......,,,,?

Dank pine resin? Are you referring to Color?

First try, you could go with 1g/L for 3-5 days. Should'nt be too overpowering.

Latest posts

Back