Question Regarding Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
I am carbing a keg at the moment but it has been in the fridge at 300kpa for a couple of days then at about 70kpa for 4 days now. However, I poured a glass last night which had a fair bit of head but the beer was still flat.

I am sure it is not over carbed but I am thinking more that I may have a slight leak somewhere because when I turn the gas off and check it a few hours later, there appears to be no pressure there (although there is still gas in the head space of the keg). The bottle is full and this is the first keg I have attached to this bottle.

I will check tonight when I get home with soapy water but am curious. Do you think it sounds like maybe a slight leak somewhere?

It "should" be well carbed with 300kpa for 2 days.

They always say soapy water is a good one for detecting leaks - squirt some around all your fittings, and any leaks will produce bubbles in the soapy water. Also (assuming you are using cornies) around the oval opening to your keg is another place to test for leaks ... I have occasionally had to re-seat the oval lid due to a minor leak as the rubber seal wasn't sitting properly ... by re-seat, I mean, release pressure in the keg, partially open the oval lid, give it a wiggle, and shut it closed again & turn on your gas.

Also "there is still gas in the head space of the keg" - so whe you pull the pressure relief valve on the keg it releases gas indicating the keg is holding pressure ok? Was the keg pressure tested before you used it?

<edit> unusual for a beer to have a fair head, but be flat ... what pressure are you pouring at?

I reckon it is over-carbed.

The way I overcome this if it happens is to:

1 - Turn the gas off completely.
2 - Pour some beers using just the pressure in the keg until it stops pouring.
3 - Turn the gas back on a touch and then attempt a pour.
4 - Keep adjusting the gas back up in small increments until you've got it at a good pouring pressure.

Then Robert's your father's brother. (hopefully!)

It won't hurt to check for leaks though if you're worried about that.

booyablack

It "should" be well carbed with 300kpa for 2 days.

They always say soapy water is a good one for detecting leaks - squirt some around all your fittings, and any leaks will produce bubbles in the soapy water. Also (assuming you are using cornies) around the oval opening to your keg is another place to test for leaks ... I have occasionally had to re-seat the oval lid due to a minor leak as the rubber seal wasn't sitting properly ... by re-seat, I mean, release pressure in the keg, partially open the oval lid, give it a wiggle, and shut it closed again & turn on your gas.

Also "there is still gas in the head space of the keg" - so whe you pull the pressure relief valve on the keg it releases gas indicating the keg is holding pressure ok? Was the keg pressure tested before you used it?

<edit> unusual for a beer to have a fair head, but be flat ... what pressure are you pouring at?
I usually pour at around 70kpa. I also think there is only a very small leak which is why the keg is holding reasonaable pressure. Yes it was pressure tested before use.

I reckon it is over-carbed.

The way I overcome this if it happens is to:

1 - Turn the gas off completely.
2 - Pour some beers using just the pressure in the keg until it stops pouring.
3 - Turn the gas back on a touch and then attempt a pour.
4 - Keep adjusting the gas back up in small increments until you've got it at a good pouring pressure.

Then Robert's your father's brother. (hopefully!)

It won't hurt to check for leaks though if you're worried about that.

booyablack

My very first keg was over carbed and the way I fixed that was to burp the keg then shake shit out of it then let it sit and repeat. I haven't over carbed a keg since and every one after the first I have had at 300kpa for 2 days then reduce to pouring pressure. i.e. 70kpa which is why I am almost certain it is not over carbed.

I'll check for leaks tonight. Might just use starsan. That gets pretty foamy at times so should show where any leaks may be.

Try shaking the keg at pouring Temperature and pressure with gas attached. I lay it on the ground or my legs and rock it with the gas inlet at the lowest point. If you here bubbles going in then it has not reach equilibrium. Rock until it stops.

So No bubbles means equilibrium or over gassed ie. you can't get any more gas in at that pressure/temperature.

Try releasing some gas - after letting the keg settle or you will have a foam fountain :)

Then repeat.

I'm no expert, but it works for me.

Thanks to Ross for giving me some pointers.

Oh, and starsan works a treat finding leaks. Most of mine have tended to be the gas poppet for some reason. I also use a smear of food grade lubricant on the o-ring to help it seat.

Cheers
Steve

I only use 300kpa for 24hours, so 2 days would be over gassed.

QldKev

[quote name='Steve's Pub' post='752681' date='Mar 18 2011, 07:34 AM']Oh, and starsan works a treat finding leaks. Most of mine have tended to be the gas poppet for some reason. I also use a smear of food grade lubricant on the o-ring to help it seat.
Cheers
Steve[/quote]
Yep it was a leak at the gas poppet. Starsan did the job thanks.

[quote name='QldKev' post='752700' date='Mar 18 2011, 09:17 AM']I only use 300kpa for 24hours, so 2 days would be over gassed.

QldKev[/quote]

Sorry Kev, I should have given correct info.... I turn the gas on when I get up in the morning then turn it off just before bed. I don't want to get caught with a gas problem whilst everyone is asleep so don't run it 24/7. All in all, this takes approxiamately 2 days to carbinate like this, so I should really say it would take between 24-30 hours with gas at 300kpa to be carbed.

Back