Question Black Rock Nz Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmo

Reaction score
Extra malt,some suggestion plse liquid malt or dry malt and should it be the light malt or is there a dark malt.also the liquid malt seems to be only avaliable in 1 litre cans so what do you do with the rest reading the suggestions on here the reccomendation is 500 grms. already have the same thing bottled and maturing and have another can and just trying to think of someway to funk it up whilst still being new to brewing also is the yeast ok inside the lid.

cheers guys for any suggestions :D

Extra malt,some suggestion plse liquid malt or dry malt and should it be the light malt or is there a dark malt.also the liquid malt seems to be only avaliable in 1 litre cans so what do you do with the rest reading the suggestions on here the reccomendation is 500 grms. already have the same thing bottled and maturing and have another can and just trying to think of someway to funk it up whilst still being new to brewing also is the yeast ok inside the lid.

cheers guys for any suggestions :D

The only advantage of liquid malt that I can see is that there seem to be a few more grades that are manufactured (colours etc) than dry. Aside from that, you need more to get the same gravity, it stales more easily and is harder to store if you don't use it all. I'd go the dry for ease of use.

The fact that yeast is stored under the lid isn't optimum - yeast should be stored cool. If the packets are 5-7g like most kits, that's also not optimum.

thanks manticle,ok will get the dry and do i just stir it in with the dextrose and could you recommend the yeast plse have a safale s04 in the fridge waiting for it to cool enough for a lager (still be a couple months at this rate hahaha)
thanks again from a learner

US05 for a clean, neutral ferment. I would recommend dissolving both sugars in some boiling water (presumably the boiling water you are adding to the kit) and if you have a whisk, sanitise it and use that to properly dissolve the sugars and avoid clumps.

have a safale s04 in the fridge waiting for it to cool enough for a lager

BTW: S04 is an ale yeast and should be brewed at 18* or so... But as Manticle said, US05 is the weapon of choice for a nice neutral ferment again at 16-18*.

Cheers

BTW: S04 is an ale yeast and should be brewed at 18* or so... But as Manticle said, US05 is the weapon of choice for a nice neutral ferment again at 16-18*.

Cheers

cheers guys i thought the s04 was a good lager yeast sorry,eys going to have to do the towel and iced bottles this time managed to keep it at 22-24 last time so will try and cool it down further

Easy simple way to funk it up even further is to try putting some hop pellets into your boil. Will add flavour if you put in early to boil and will add aroma if you add late into boil. I'm still pretty new to brewing but that was an immediate first step for me.

You can get hop pellets at a homebrew store.

Have a search online for what the various hops are and what could suit. Cascade seems to be a popular one to up the flavour.

Easy simple way to funk it up even further is to try putting some hop pellets into your boil. Will add flavour if you put in early to boil and will add aroma if you add late into boil. I'm still pretty new to brewing but that was an immediate first step for me.

You can get hop pellets at a homebrew store.

Have a search online for what the various hops are and what could suit. Cascade seems to be a popular one to up the flavour.

cheers might have to that can i just add to the boil with the inital 4 litres or does it have to be done seperate.

the s 04 is that a good yeast for stout also plse have a stout kit that i want to kick off after this hahaha this is the mere beginning of the Qs have a heap of kits that i need to brew out this year but by the end 1 of 2 things will of happened
either
(A) i will of learnt/know something

(B) be told to have sex and travel

thanks guys i am writing a notebook to also on each brew as to make and model and any extras and including SG

Cosmo,

Good idea keeping a book with your brews in it. Make sure you record what you do with each brew and then when drinking it make a comment on what your thoughts are. I have a few good brew recipies tha I like to repeat - some others never to do again!

Kuzzy

Cosmo,

Good idea keeping a book with your brews in it. Make sure you record what you do with each brew and then when drinking it make a comment on what your thoughts are. I have a few good brew recipies tha I like to repeat - some others never to do again!

Kuzzy

yep thats the idea kuzzy keep the good ones and drink the bad ones never to be repeated thats why i also put the add ons in and the dates and brew temps and the sg.

cheers guys am actually getting excited about brewing beer and do the little add ons so hopefully it ll be a success,quite enjoyable actually and havent even tasted the fruits of my labour yet

I'll be over your way last week of Feb - if it tastes any good give me a yell and I'll give you a second opinion ;)

I'll be over your way last week of Feb - if it tastes any good give me a yell and I'll give you a second opinion ;)

hahaha nothing shy about you ozzies is there aaaaaaaaaaa :D

Actually, coming home for a visit - I'm a sheep shagger as well.

oh in that case you re more than welcome hahaha but keep it down we dont want to confirm it for them.

cheers guys all down and just trying to cool it down to add yeast original sg reading is 1050 is this going to be a problem ;)

Back