Quantity of Belle Saison to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edd

Reaction score
Mornin’ all. Brewing a Saison as of last night and it’s currently sat in its Naughty Cube cooling off to initial fermentation temp. I’ve got a couple packets of Belle Saison ready to rehydrate, but I’m not sure whether I need both initially. I usually chuck a couple packets in for my other ales but this one has had yeast nutrient added and I’m told this yeast is a complete animal. Will I be better off holding a packet back just in case I need to bring the SG down a few points towards the end? I have a 20l batch and the packs are the 11g buggers.

Cheers, Edd.

I recently brewed a Saison and used the same yeast, you will be fine with just the single packet. It goes off like a rocket so be prepared for that, have a blow off tube or additional setup handy in case of this.
Cheers

You’re not wrong about that yeast, smashed the gravity from 1.052 to 1.005 in 3 days. Insane! Could hear the airlock wailing from outside the fridge, family was giving it a wide berth for a bit. It’s calmed right down now, I’ll tell you something else too. That brewing fridge smells bloody incredible!

It’s chewed another 2 points down over the weekend, will it soon move through the fermenter and out the fridge door? I darent chuck in the rest of the Hallertau in case of waking a sleepy dragon...

It's a machine. 20L with a single pack will be fine. As others have suggested be prepared for a lot of activity. Don't be surprised if it his 1.000 or less. My best was 0.98.

Such a beauty of a yeast too. It imparts some awesome flavours. Got rave reviews from a work colleague about the Saison when he tried it.
Keen as to get going on another one. Will be leaving the next one out of the fridge, to get more of that funk flavour going.

Such a beauty of a yeast too. It imparts some awesome flavours. Got rave reviews from a work colleague about the Saison when he tried it.
Keen as to get going on another one. Will be leaving the next one out of the fridge, to get more of that funk flavour going.

How warm were you thinking? I run mine at 25c until FG and get some pretty intense yeast flavors.

How warm were you thinking? I run mine at 25c until FG and get some pretty intense yeast flavors.

I was planning leaving it out of the fridge in my brew room (glorified cupboard), which sits around 25c. The previous version I had in the temp controlled fridge at 18c. Still tasted good, but definitely after more of that funk character.

I’ve gone for the 3 days at 18 then let it rise to 27. It’s just been dry hopped at 14 days now but I will let it sit for 5 more with a quick 48hr CC before bottling next Sunday evening. Tested it yesterday and it’s now sat at 1.001 which means an ABV of 6.7% without allowing a couple points for bottle carbonation fermentation. Smells earthy and spicy, should be great!

I’ve gone for the 3 days at 18 then let it rise to 27. It’s just been dry hopped at 14 days now but I will let it sit for 5 more with a quick 48hr CC before bottling next Sunday evening. Tested it yesterday and it’s now sat at 1.001 which means an ABV of 6.7% without allowing a couple points for bottle carbonation fermentation. Smells earthy and spicy, should be great!
Sounds exactly the way a Saison should smell. And a good abv. I went a little high with mine. Need to drop the abv a bit I think.

Bottled today after 3 weeks fermentation. Had a taste and it’s pretty funky and peppery. Dry as Ghandi’s sandals too... Should be pretty good after a 2 week carb. I’m wondering if I will be able to taste any chlorophenols in it, my pales have been fairly poor for that so far. Hoping the farmyard funk is going to counter any that may be there. Damn this WA water!

Sounds exactly the way a Saison should smell. And a good abv. I went a little high with mine. Need to drop the abv a bit I think.
What ABV were you hitting with yours then mate? Was it the Belle you were using too?

What ABV were you hitting with yours then mate? Was it the Belle you were using too?
Mine ended up at 7.9% after bottle conditioning. Was using 640ml bottles, and was 4 standard drinks to the bottle which was a bit much. Still pretty tasty though. Got one bottle left which I am putting in the cellar for science ;)

Just had an early snifter of mine, it definitely needs slightly more carb but man, I am happy with it. My best effort yet I reckon. I reckon it’s probably at about 7% which is high, but hey ho, who’s complaining!

Just had an early snifter of mine, it definitely needs slightly more carb but man, I am happy with it. My best effort yet I reckon. I reckon it’s probably at about 7% which is high, but hey ho, who’s complaining!
Nice one. Yeah not complaining with 7%, just got to be careful if you are using a big bottle. I was using 640mls for the Saison, which worked out to 4 standard drinks a bottle. Made sure to note that down when giving to friends so they didn't get in a jam with the law haha

Latest posts

Back