Fermentis Safale WB06 vs Lalvin Danstar Belle Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballantynedewolf

Reaction score
I recently fermented the same saison style wort in two side by side fermenters in the same conditions using the two yeasts in the thread subject. I started them off at 20C and moved them up a degree whenever I remembered, finishing out after 10 days or so at 26.
IN tasting, I find the WB06 gives a cleaner flavour with more spice character, the Belle Saison a funkier, slightly sour character with less spice, which I don't like as much.
It's possible my Belle Saison fermenter was infected, so I'm wondering if the difference above is expected or atypical?

Belle saison makes a great beer with that great funky yeast character, but it shouldn't taste infected, just awesome.

Belle Saison finishes low usually (1.000-1.003). If fermented much above 20oc at the beginning it can produce a slight tart Saison. IMHO Saisons should have a "funky" character, more so than wheat beers. They do meld and mellow with age but they should still taste like Saisons i.e. dry, spice, some phenols, refreshing etc.. So I think your Saison is find, the tartness is a character of Belle Saison.

Latest posts

Back