Push brew through filter with air

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00Tank

Reaction score
Ok,I know the cardinal rule that oxygen kills beer,but after I ferment (I do a 60 litre batch at a time) I use an air compressor to push my beer through my filter to the kegs I will carbonate. As of yet I have not had a problem ,as it is going through filter then to keg then to get carbonated straight away. Does anyone else do this ? And if you do have run into any dramas or had "off " beers? Because I cannot fualt the way I do it ,as of yet not having made a bad beer yet. My air compressor has a filter on it also on the out line for water/oil.

I use my CO2 bottle and regulator that I use for the beer to push through my filter, but I wouldn't have considered using an air compressor. I know what nasties lie in the drop tank when I bleed the air out of my compressor and all that dirty/oily water comes out. I understand where your coming from and it's probably not that different from people who fill their fermenters using the garden hose, you'll probably get away with it for years, but one day it might bite you.

mate use co2, it could just be that your beer doesnt hang around long enough to see the effects or you could have a dead spot in the oxidation section of your palate.

If the air compressor hasn't killed the beer the super cheap auto fuel filter will

Aircompressors generally produce a certain % of oil and general waste etc in the output.
Hench why all the phillipino boat divers who breath out of an air compressor generally have a life span of like 30 years.

Personally, that's the last thing I would ever do with my beer, but if you're happy with the results, keep going.

Back