Purging A 50 Litre X Brand Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irwazza

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Just about got all my gear together. Just a quick question, How do you purge the O2 out of a 50 litre X Brand keg?

Cheers
Brenton

There's a photo strip link on the internet somewhere but I couldn't find it, sorry.

Anyway... Lay keg on its side, pointing away from everything or you will end up with beer dregs all over you. Then with either a ball headed hammer or a solid flathead screwdriver push hard against the ball valve to release the CO2. At first the noise and pressure with scare you, but it's all okay... it will take about 5-8 seconds to release all the CO2.

Note: If using a hammer place a tea-towel over the head of the hammer (helps to keep you dry), if using a screwdriver push it in on the side of the ball valve.

Hope this helps... good luck

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Hey, Thanks for quick reply

Is that for releasing the O2 after force carbonating the keg or is that for releasing all pressure from the keg for opening.
I'm after the first part, releasing the O2 from the keg. \

Cheers
Brenton

Not qualified to answer that one for you, sorry. Hopefully another forum member will jump on board soon with an answer.

Cheers
C

Not really qualified on this one either, but seeing as commercial kegs are designed to be machine filled, I'd imagine that the purging would happen prior to filling. That's how I fill my corny kegs (well not completely purging them, but burping them to provide a CO2 blanket).

If I were to completely purge a commercial keg, I'd initially flood the keg with no-rinse sanitizer or water & then "dispense" the keg using CO2 pressure. The keg would then be full of CO2 & a bit of remaining liquid. Fill the keg with beer via the beer out if there is no check valve on the coupler.

I guess a better way or asking this question would be; How do you burp a 50litre X brand keg?

This is obviously one of the legit ones that you can now buy on ebay or some homebrew shops. So to use these kegs you need a coupling to screw in or slide over the top. The fitting out the side of the coupling is gas in. Just disconnect or unscrew the snap lock. Otherwise get a second gas in fitting not hooked to your gas bottle and plug it in for a second.

Also - to not confuse later on, it's CO2 that you would be burping from a pressurised keg. Once it's empty and been opened then you flush the O2 out by filling with CO2.

Good luck

Back