Pumpy Brewery Mk Iv

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ill be in contact pumpy once i get a few things sorted at work

We will be waiting :unsure:

l_6425b4c5fc3a49d696cb1515f170d53e.jpg

i dont need dimentions ya twits :)

I just need paint that burns off after a brew or 2!

I also have a big SS pot that need converting to a kettle........ need to re mount the burner and clean out all the jets.

Also keen to simplify the pipework........ what are your disconects pumpy?

Link?

i dont need dimentions ya twits :)

I just need paint that burns off after a brew or 2!

I also have a big SS pot that need converting to a kettle........ need to re mount the burner and clean out all the jets.

Also keen to simplify the pipework........ what are your disconects pumpy?

Link?

Tony Bunnings cant find the pics bot they work great with the Silicone pipe Justin posted them

Great looking brew setup there bloke congrats on its construction and christening ;)

On the subect of paint, could the stand be powdercoated and would that survive the heat of a repeat brew session? From what i understand the temps and elctrostatic coating is much more resistant to heat and abrasion than normal painted surfaces encluding engine enamel paints (probably toxic i would say). Only bring this up as i know a local powdercoater company that did my last computer case and they seemd to be doing bbq stands as well, maybe just for corrosion, im not sure.

Great looking brew setup there bloke congrats on its construction and christening ;)

On the subect of paint, could the stand be powdercoated and would that survive the heat of a repeat brew session? From what i understand the temps and elctrostatic coating is much more resistant to heat and abrasion than normal painted surfaces encluding engine enamel paints (probably toxic i would say). Only bring this up as i know a local powdercoater company that did my last computer case and they seemd to be doing bbq stands as well, maybe just for corrosion, im not sure.

Sure that would be a great idea eater if you can get it done , sure it will last better , I have changed my brewery every few years although this one is built like a brick shit house .

I was going to put the mag wheels on it but had to stop somewhere , you dont need to have the bells and whistles on your brewery , to be a good brewer ,but for me the enjoyment is pimping up your brewery a bit .

Pumpy :)

Just a word on powder coating, the normal powder coating product will not stand constant high temp. there is a high temp product which will deal with higher then normal temperatures again not constant direct heat. I know I had my Italian Spiral stand coated with the higher temp product and burnt off the with a high temp 2 pac and it burnt off as well.

I'm not and expert in powder coating, a qualified painter would be the best person to ask
just from experience

Cheers

PJ

Just a word on powder coating, the normal powder coating product will not stand constant high temp. there is a high temp product which will deal with higher then normal temperatures again not constant direct heat. I know I had my Italian Spiral stand coated with the higher temp product and burnt off the with a high temp 2 pac and it burnt off as well.

I'm not and expert in powder coating, a qualified painter would be the best person to ask
just from experience

Cheers

PJ

It is a big ask of paint to withstand the type of heat that we generate doing a boil, I'll talk to the painters at work tomorrow. They paint F-111s, Hornets and the like. If there is a product that will withstand that type of heat they will know about it. On the other hand what are those old pot belly stoves painted with?

cheers

Browndog

It is a big ask of paint to withstand the type of heat that we generate doing a boil, I'll talk to the painters at work tomorrow. They paint F-111s, Hornets and the like. If there is a product that will withstand that type of heat they will know about it. On the other hand what are those old pot belly stoves painted with?

cheers

Browndog

Yeah that would be right better ask AndrewQLD to put some of that paint for the F-111's on his home made sausages
so next time Browndog you cant set fire to the Sausages at breakfast BBQ. ;)

The sausages should be Brown not Black Browndog if that makes sense :)

Pumpy

Spoke to our painters, they said with the type of heat we are dealing with they could only recommend stove black, the stuff used on pot belly stoves. Podwer coating will not cut the mustard.

cheers

Browndog

P.S Pumpy, you and I have very different recollections of that morning mate. let me know next time you are coming up to QLD, I'll give the fire brigade advance warning.

I have been doing some research on types of paint - similar to browndog, I thought about the paint used on heaters etc.

I discovered a product called - stove bright. available in spray cans and paint and heaps of colours.

They state it can handle 650oC - so it is certainly infront of the pack in comparision to normal old paint.

Just phoned around cheapest in Perth is $22 per spray can - predominately limited to black or grey - which suits me fine - i'm thinking of joining pumpy in black on my brewrig!

MWS

Ps - i have done another 5 mins worth of research on paint - White knight Hi Temp is another product to consider and probably available at bunnings - can handle 540oC. Also Permanent painted coatings produce a 760oC product that may be worth considering.

I have been doing some research on types of paint - similar to browndog, I thought about the paint used on heaters etc.

I discovered a product called - stove bright. available in spray cans and paint and heaps of colours.

They state it can handle 650oC - so it is certainly infront of the pack in comparision to normal old paint.

Just phoned around cheapest in Perth is $22 per spray can - predominately limited to black or grey - which suits me fine - i'm thinking of joining pumpy in black on my brewrig!

MWS

Ps - i have done another 5 mins worth of research on paint - White knight Hi Temp is another product to consider and probably available at bunnings - can handle 540oC. Also Permanent painted coatings produce a 760oC product that may be worth considering.

Mark The frame was primed in grey and I got quite attached to that colour its a bit more fashionable if you look at houses the gutters or facia are painted grey ,I went for black and regret it a bit I am hoping te flame guards will protect the outer bars a bit

pumpy :)

I reckon the flame guards will reduce some of the heat Pumpy, but after 50 or so brews the gal coating on my frame even burned off.

why not high temp exhaust paint??????
its good to 4-500 degrees.
also there are some coatings that will go up to that sort of temps and i should know ive got one of them on my headers for the bug

I reckon the flame guards will reduce some of the heat Pumpy, but after 50 or so brews the gal coating on my frame even burned off.

50 brews thats pretty good after that will get anothe can of spray :)

Guys, i downloaded the pdf on the high temp paints for perm paint coatings that appear specifically designed for high temp surfaces such as exhaust extractors (supposedly 750oC). Once the material is applied it then requires reasonable heat to be applied - then to bond the material (paint) to the surface. The instructions from the supplier state a 150oC heat source needs to be applied to bond the paint to the surface - other wise moisture will introduce its self between the two and cause the paint to separate.

More research is needed to understand our brew requirements against the products curently available. Once thought for me is to now use two (2) types of black paint in the various areas to meet the temperature demands incurred during a brew day. Definately do not have a oven/hot box that will take the brew stand and generate in excess of 150oC. Shame really!!!!!!!!!

Again, definately not an expert in this area (and not to hijack a great thread on a great brew stand) maybe a sep thread would be appropriate.

Again Pumpy - great set-up, thanks for the pics, it has certainly made me think about by stand that i am about to build and the KISS principle.

WHen are you going to pop it's cherry Pumpy? make sure you take some pics then mate!

WHen are you going to pop it's cherry Pumpy? make sure you take some pics then mate!

Hoping to fire it up this weekend Browndog, that will be the true test of the flame guards ,they only on a few sides as I was worried it may not get enough oxygen when the kettle and HLT on .

Will report back :)

Pumpy

Latest posts

Back