Pubs in Perth and Freo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
I'll be heading back to my hometown in the next few weeks. I left there over 10 years ago, so a lot would have changed. Is the Sail and Anchor, and also the Little Creatures still in Freo? What pubs are must visits?

I am heading over to Perth/Freo this weekend and will be watching this thread with interest...

I went over about 2 years ago, Sail and Anchor and LC in freo were the top pubs of the quick trip. LC has the tour of the facility with a free sample of the beers/cider they have on tap at the end, about 6-7 samples at ~100ml.

Be prepared to pay through the nose for a pint though.

Ok in Freo Sail and anchor has a reasonable tap sellection (20+).. Prob the best range in WA. The Monk in freo brew there own beer, the norfolk had a few nice things on tap last time and then there is always little creatures

Perth, Bobs bar i find to be the best in the perth CBD, pirate bar/the classroom/the bassendean are ok (prob have a couple of specialty beers and are not CBD), beaufort st is a good little walk down, some decent food spots.. 5 bar is prob the best on the street but its not far to another bar/pub.. the flying scotsman always has a decent crowd

i may have missed some but i believe these to be the better ones..

Clancy's have 3 venue's that serve decent beers
freo/canning hwy and city beach

The Old Faithful in Perth is a good spot for Meat and Beer. They normally have a few Feral Beers on tap and with slow cooked meat on hand its always a tasty outing.

Sail and Anchor has gone downhill a bit and I prefer Bob's Bar in the City (managed by an ex-Sail and Anchor employee). If your in Freo definitely check out The Monk.

I visited the Monk earlier this year. The beers were pretty good, definitely worth the visit. Pizza good. And also got to watch a fight between 2 smack heads across the road which ended up with 1 of them pulling a knife out on the other..... Beer, food and entertainment - what more can you ask for?

Always thought the S&A was a bit too "cute". Little Creatures, good to have a look at and good food. Not cheap, but it's Perth.

My favourite for a Sunday lunch or Tuesday or Monday or any time really is the Norfolk Hotel. Across the road and up a bit from the Sail.

They usually have something interesting on tap and swap them around a bit.

Sail and Anchor used to be better. Mainly the same old stuff from places like Colonial, Feral, S&A/Gage Rds, but usually good for 2-4 interesting beers from places like Anderson Valley, Mikkeller, Rogue etc.

Quarie's got a better beer list than S&A now, but they're mainly bottles. Also Quarie is in Hammond Park where there's nothing else to do.

Five in Mt Lawley has lots of good beers in bottles and a decent selection on tap. They've had Barrel fermented Hop Hog both times I've been there which I love.

There's a few brewpubs like Monk (Fremantle), Blacksalt (North Fremantle), Indian Ocean Brewery (Mindarie). Monk is good, I've not been to the other two and their google reviews aren't great.

If going to the Swan Valley then Feral is obviously awesome, Mash has some good beers including CopyCat IPA, Elmar's does some good German beers.

The sail has gone down hill like a lot of people have said they are run by ALH (woolworths) and there pushing there own brand of sail & anchor beer brewed on contract at gage. it's fucken horrible shit that takes up a lot of tap space. It can be pretty dissapointing some weeks there is nothing there I want to drink some weeks nearly all the taps are good, also check the hand pump if your into that sort of thing. Last time I went they had the challenger IPA from mash on and that was great. Norfolk is a bit livelier and they usually have a few good local beers on.

little creatures is shit it's owned by lion nathan now and they dont give a ****, I imagine it's gonna go the way of matilda bay soon. They charge yah something rediculous like $13 bucks a pint for something brewed 5m away.

Monk is always good there chief IPA is delish and the porter is solid. The seasonals are usually worth a crack too, they usually have a coconut stout on when it starts getting cold which is amazing.

Also the freo doctor bottle shop is up near the hospital and they do growlers and have a great selection.

Looks like Freo will def be a trip, the wife loves pizza so the pizza and beer sounds like a visit. I'm thinking of heading over to the Swan valley direction as I have a couple of mates out that way, so may check out Feral.

Hi,
Freo:,
Sail and anchor , not as good as it was, but still usually 4-6 good unusual beers on tap and a heap of other boring stuff, food pretty terrible, often quite a few barflies
Monk, decent beers and reasonable food
Norfolk often has some really good beers, and food is good
Clancy's pretty good selection of beers, including some obscure south western ones, pretty good food and kid friendly
Little Creatures: a place that is somehow losing its mojo very quickly
Bottle shops:
Freo Doctor, good but lots of very stale stock, be cautious buying IPA's there,
Old bridge cellars: good selection,but not accessible from freo very easily without car

Sinkas, why do say Little Creatures is losing their mojo?? I live local and have been going there regularly for over 10 years and find it's always great. Probably still the best in Freo. Their beers fresh from the tanks are very hard to beat. Mid arvo harbour-side seating out the back of the main building on a sunny Autumn day is worthy of the bucket list.

Norfolk is great too. Very nice atmosphere in the beer garden and a better than average beer selection. Food is good, but not great.

I don't mind The Monk's beer garden for late arvo drinks, but the beers are standard fair and so is the food. Not worth going there for but certainly not avoid at all costs either. I definitely wouldn't bother dining in the main restaurant area. I've had two bad experiences from a total of two visits...

Clancy's is probably above average. Good beer selection and standard pub food. If you pick the right day you'll get some good live tunes too. Very family friendly.

Sail & Anchor isn't bad, but sits behind LC's and Norfolk. Has lots of beers, but you'll find only a handful are interesting. I wouldn't eat there, not because the food is terrible, but it's just more of a drinking hole than a restaurant.

And if you enjoy sunsets (or more importantly, the missus) Bather's Beach House is the place to go.

Best thing about Freo is everything is walking distance, so you could actually just visit every decent pub in town!

ijosh:
hard for me to say other than " it just has"

had a bit of a impromptu pub crawl last week, with old salt @pistolpatch

on a Tuesday night, the woman running the sail and anchor bars demeanour was absolutely bizarre, , she seemed repulsed by all patrons and also her staff,
also pint prices for international craft there have gone thru the rook,
pint used to top out at about $15, eg shitty sixpoint imp pils and stale tasting descute freshly squeezed balls ipa was 17.80 a pint, root that.

Norfolk was good,
and pretty busy,
and had some interesting stuff on,
as a reasonable price

also the OP should try Bob's bar,
part fo the print hall group in the CBD,
pretty good taplist at the moment

Latest posts

Back