Pubs In Melbourne To Recommend?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Ill be paying Melbourne a visit and naturally I would get very thirsty from all that sightseeing during the day and need a decent waterhole that serve some of Australias finest craft beer. Ill be putting up in Victoria Street so anything around that vicinity is highly desirable. Of cause if I have to make that extra mile to get to an amazing place, I dont see what is stopping me.

So folks, can you please recommend me some of your favourite pubs? Greatly appreciate the trouble and I hope to bump into some of you there in April.

I think most of the pubs up that end are mainly CUB spittoons. There is a Little Creatures not far away in Fitzroy, but head down to Fed Square for a bit more atmosphere. Transport is good, as is Beer DeLuxe (both at Fed Square). Shame you're not a month earlier for the Micro Breweries Showcase.

Fairly sure there was a similar query made not long ago. Do a quick search - see what others came back with...

Mrs Parma has some nice Micro brew beers on tap as well as a good feed

+1 for Mrs Parmas

you may also like Young & Jacksons, the upstairs bar usually has a vic microbrewer showcase

Great stuff... I'll be there for 18 days and plan to do some serious bar visiting.

Well if your here for 18 days then you'll be able to venture a bit further than the CBD so;

The Local Taphouse in East St Kilda
Beer Deluxe in Federation Square (CBD)
Biero in Little Lonsdale (CBD)
The Royston in Richmond
Mrs Parmas in Little Bourke (CBD)

They would be my top 5. If you go to The Royston on a Wednesday or Friday afrer 5pm you can also hit up the Mountain Goat brewery which is across the road.

Then there is Little Creatures in Brunswick, Young & Jacksons, Transport, Penny Blue, Cookie and others that are worth a visit but not essential. If you got a car (and DD) you could also hit up some of the closer micros around Victoria. Check out www.craftypint.com.au for more info. A great resource for Vic micro and better beer bar info.

Great information pack folks! I was about to post another asking for recommendations to micro breweries around there as well. Any good one's I should not miss out?

I was about to post another asking for recommendations to micro breweries around there as well. Any good one's I should not miss out?

Plenty of micros around. Do you have a car while you're in Melbourne?

On a free day, jump on the train at Southern Cross station and head out to Holgate Brewery in Woodend. The trip will take about an hour, and the station is right at the pub pretty much. Drink the awesome brews and train back again :icon_drunk:

+2 on Mrs Palmers.

true south in black rock.if you have a car,or catch a train to sandringham and get a bus....

Victoria St Richmond or Abbotsford/Collingwood or North/West melbourne? Same street but it's quite long.

Not sure if mountain Goat brewery has been mentioned - it's in Richmond. Also Bar Fred in North Carlton always gets left off these lists - great bottled beer range and good, very cheap pizza.

Nicholson St, Nth carlton, 96 tram runs past Victoria Street.

Victoria St Richmond or Abbotsford/Collingwood or North/West melbourne? Same street but it's quite long.

Not sure if mountain Goat brewery has been mentioned - it's in Richmond.

Bless her.. SWMBO took me there for our aniversary the other day :wub: Great selection of beers and also pizza!! They also have an 'infuser' on the bar called Randy or something, on the day it was a cucumber infusion.. SWMBO loved it.. meh for me but worth a pot taster.

it's all, bar and brewery, in a big shed so you see and smell the whole time and they do a tour as well which was a nice way to finish off..

worth the visit IMO.. if you are after a no frills pub type pub.. The GB (Great Britain Hotel) is a fave local of mine, nice selection of beers and laid back..

m2c

Don't forget the Fox in Collingwood.Holgate is a must,and if you don't mind a long train trip,Oscars Alehouse in Belgrave is a ripper,great music too.Y&J's is an Aussie icon,right opposite Flinders St station,and the Sunday arvo Blues music session is ALWAYS great.Some of the best musos in Oz.I personally find Transport a bit pricey,but each to their own.You'll have a ball at all of the pubs people have recommended :party:

Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations. We dont plan to get a car and even if we do, it's not wise to drink and drink... I mean drive :icon_drool2:

Public transportation will be the sure thing for now and since I have 18 days to move around Melbourne, I dont see why I should miss those great places hidden in the suburb.

oh ya, I first started brewing using a Coopers kit and as a tribute, is there a good place I can visit for all things Coopers?

Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations. We dont plan to get a car and even if we do, it's not wise to drink and drink... I mean drive :icon_drool2:

Public transportation will be the sure thing for now and since I have 18 days to move around Melbourne, I dont see why I should miss those great places hidden in the suburb.

oh ya, I first started brewing using a Coopers kit and as a tribute, is there a good place I can visit for all things Coopers?
Forget any idea of driving in Melbourne,bloody mayhem at the best of times :rolleyes: .Trams and trains will get you anywhere you want to go,without the stress.No Coopers 'heaven' that i know of.sadly,but heaps of great bottlos to stock your suitcase up with craft beer :D One pub that never seems to get a mention on here is 'The Mitre Tavern',in Bank Place,towards Southern Cross station.Certainly not a craft beer Mecca,but the closest thing to an English style,cosy pub, you'll find by a long shot. and it's not a 'faux' pub either.Try and avoid it at lunch times cos it's full of 'banker wankers'Great food too.Hope you have a ball cobber :icon_cheers:

is there a good place I can visit for all things Coopers?

as above the GB on Church St Richmond has a fine selection of Coops on tap (CPA and Sparkling at least) and bottle.. I think.. alot will largly depend on where you are staying as to what is 'easier' for you as far as PT goes.. but if you are in Richmond area you cant go past it.. theres not too many places that are 'too far on a stagger' :D

Note: At last count there are about 30 pubs/shitholes (IMHO) in about a 4 block radius from where I live in Richmond.. it can almost keep me happy :p

as above the GB on Church St Richmond has a fine selection of Coops on tap (CPA and Sparkling at least) and bottle.. I think.. alot will largly depend on where you are staying as to what is 'easier' for you as far as PT goes.. but if you are in Richmond area you cant go past it.. theres not too many places that are 'too far on a stagger' :D

Note: At last count there are about 30 pubs/shitholes (IMHO) in about a 4 block radius from where I live in Richmond.. it can almost keep me happy :p
I've heard good reports of the "Cherry Tree" too.Any thoughts ? :icon_cheers:

I've heard good reports of the "Cherry Tree" too.Any thoughts ? :icon_cheers:

many years ago I used to live 2 doors up from the CT and was a local local for me, times change.. different management and different people frequent it now.. has been many a moon since I even called in there for a pot.. cant say fo' sure but I think there are, depending on your taste, many a "pub" that I'd rather support than places like this that only cater to a 'nice shirt' for entry.

back in the day they used to run a $10 steak night (Tuesdays) the Chef at the time was am awesome little fella,

I even managed to date some of the quality staff they had there... oh the times we had :rolleyes:

fond memories of the Cherry Tree, greater ones from the Great Britain just up the road from there... and yes Ive dated some of the finer staff from there too :lol: .. back in the day that is... insert smug look here
good times and very cheap beer back then :icon_drunk:

Back