Two Row Bar, Smith Street, Fitzroy Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lswhi3

Reaction score
While I was desperately looking for Brewcult's hop zone on tap in Melbourne using google, I stumbled upon Two Row in a review that said it was featuring hop zone a few weeks ago. In the hope it was still there, I managed to drag my girlfriend and her friends there after dinner on Brunswick Street. I've unsuccessfully looked for hop zone on tap for weeks, so it looks like I just missed it during good beer week! But, I wasn't disappointed. It's a new bar that only opened in late April-2014. Tasty tasty beers, even better than Wednesday nights at De Ja Vu, although more expensive than a $6 pint.
Tap menu included (all in 375ml goblet/glasses), amongst various bottles of tasty beers (pacific, feral, etc):
$12 cherry flavoured red red, was so flavoured by the cherry it had mild tannins. Redness was very bright and deep.
$10 for a perfectly balanced 8% chocolate malt IPA. Dark beers are my least favourite, but given that there were 3 really, really, tasty IPAs on the menu, and this was my favourite... it's just crazy. Think it was called blackhole IPA or something.
some other IPA, and another one which was almost as good as the first one.
There was an imperial stout on tap too, but I didn't taste it.

Spoke to the owner and they said business hadn't been great. Just thought I'd share this for any other local beer appreciators.

Went there the other night. Would drop in again if I was in the area but things I reckon would see business improve :

Serve pints and pots at reasonable prices. Either use pint/pot glasses or special, different glasses for each beer rather than generic tulip glasses.
Beef up the food menu or get a few interesting bar snacks in addition to the toasties.
It might be on brunswick street but treat beer as it should be and potential customers as potential customers rather than an already wrapped market. Just got the impression there was an assumption that their market was already set and no effort needed to be made.

Also purely personal but never play coldplay.

Yeah man the music's great too. Have you checked out deja vu bar? It's just next to flagstaff station and is a similar kind of thing.

I went in on Sunday night at 8pm and there was no-one else there. Owner told me they were expecting business to pick up though.

Been to de ja vu. Penny blue is my favourite cbd beer joint, great northern or bar fred for inner city suburban.

Will have to check it out! Any nights with student prices?
Not as such but bar fred has/had(?) $5 pizzas and Great Northern has some great deals on food some nights.

Will have to remember this place and check it out. As well as a couple of the other suggestions in this thread.
Tried to go to De Ja Vu a couple of months ago, but it wasn't open.

I need to check Two Row as there is a free tasting paddle to be had with the GABS passport of vouchers. I would also put my 2c in and say Great Northern is fantastic, my local really I'm there every Tuesday for the $12 steaks. Also De Ja Vu on a Wednesday for $6 pints/goblets is fecking ace, I need to get there more.

Back