Pub Food

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wagyu Rump Steak at the Pub at Brooklyn, Hawksbury River is my favourite for a treat, otherwise a good snitzel with a mushroom sauce

i'm surprised no one has said wood fired pizza yet!

this one was pretty tasty, homemade pie, gravy boat and mash

DSC01390.JPG

Rob.

I'm quite partial to a good quality bratwurst or kransky when having a beer.

Parma or a Parma...maybe a steak if im feeling adventurous.

Parma must have ham though, other wise its a piece of chicken with melted cheese.

www.superparma.com.au ;)

Can't beet a parma, except with pinapple pcs.

Go the lamb's fry!!!

Just the sort of feed you get at a no-nonsense country pub.

Washed down with a schooner of old (which is probably the only drinkable beer they have in a no-nonsense country pub...)

:icon_vomit:

i'm surprised no one has said wood fired pizza yet!

this one was pretty tasty, homemade pie, gravy boat and mash

View attachment 19904

Rob.

Absolutely with you on that one Rob. A good wood fired pizza and a fresh ale! Bridge Hotel in Mordiallic deliver on all fronts and if you sit out on the decking you can watch the boats go by and pretend you are in Europe.

Those parma/snitzels in Doogiechaps pics!!! No chicken grows that big with out steroids and they are deep fried!!!!

That is the other thing I know is an argument between parma officionados - chips on the side or parma on the chips?

chips on the side of course

In summer it would have to be the seafood platter at my local. Salmon, snapper, prawn skewer, oysters kilpatrick and a bowl of chilli mussels.
In winter a steak, spicy sausage or a roast lamb dish

Steak... medium rare with chips n salad. A good pizza can also do the job.

Is parma a melbourne or vicco pub thing? I don't remember seeing it feature as much on the Sydney pub menu as it does down here...

Andrei

+1 for a good wood fired pizza with hot cacciatore, olives, calabrese & sundried tomato

either that or spicy beef ribs...... :rolleyes:

Steak... medium rare with chips n salad. A good pizza can also do the job.

Is parma a melbourne or vicco pub thing? I don't remember seeing it feature as much on the Sydney pub menu as it does down here...

Andrei

fairly common in vi c i think but definitely a south aussie thing. 'cept we call 'em parmys.

I love a good pizza and a burger. Easy in concept, but both require a craftsman to get them right. Much like good beer I guess.

When next you find yourself in Vancouver, check out Dix brewpub downtown. Awesome IPA and most of their grub comes from a huge bbq. Smokey pulled pork is to die for.

When I was in Ottawa, Canada for work many years ago every single bar and pub served chicken wings. I was told every pub had to serve food as part of their licensing. Depending on the bar, they came in variations such as mild, medium, hot, super-hot, atomic and even "suicide". Quality varied of course but in general this was pretty good pub food to accompany many beers...

Yep, you'll find wings in every pub and brewpub in Canada.

When we were at Rock Bottom brewpub in Portland, they had happy hour food for $1. Burger, wings, nachos, whatever. $1.

Depends on how long you've got.
30 minutes - Steak Sandwitch with a Coopers Mild cos you have to go back to work.
60 minutes - Burger or a Snitty with a Coopers Pale and/or Stout because they know where you are.
Who cares - Steak and make it a big one with all of the above.
From the best pub in Rundle Street - the Exeter.
Sadly having made an extensive study on this over a number of years we are being moved from 5 minutes walk from the Ex to the city fringe with no pub for 2kms - %&^%^$. Closer to the Darebin Street Brewery though.

6.jpg

I do like how the Canadians put the pickle on top of the burger for easy disposal. I mean, look at all that pickle. Clearly excessive.

WA pub cuisine leaves much to be desired. It's all burgers, wedges, and a steak if you're feeling fancy. Throw in a token chicken dish for the ladies, and some deef fried frozen fish fillets for the vegos (serious!).

There are some obvious upmarket examples who do things better, but largely pubs seem to have never had accommodation, hence small kitchens, hence only a grill and deep fryer.

It's slightly better out in the country

Can't beat a Wood Fired Gourmet Pizza, and a beer

Still:
Peas and Corn you would like our homemade STOUT sourdough... mmmm with aged cheddar

Love sourdough, hows about coaxing the recipe out of the cook for us?

good burger, good steak sandwich, schnitty, simple pizza and a good pie. that is all.

Back