Promash & Windows 7

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
Just an FYI for those using Promash and thinking of Windows 7 (32 bit)

It might be just my setup, but I suspect it's a bug with Promash, especially given its age.

I have a NAS drive where I store all my recipes, sessions etc. That way, regardless of which computer I am using, I can get access to my data.

Under Windows 7, if you do not run Promash in XP compatible mode, it crashes whenever you try and reference the networked drive. Once running in XP compatible mode (or whatever its called), Promash deals with the network drive without issue.

Like I said, it might just be my setup.

You might try downloading the current "version" again if you still have all the license key data. I did see recently that Promash had rewritten the software to 32 bit but not changed the release number. I have the "current download" running on Win7 without any probs, but I am not using a NAS.
Still the best software for brewing in my opinion - especially for commercial use.

Cheers,

Wes

Just an FYI for those using Promash and thinking of Windows 7 (32 bit)

It might be just my setup, but I suspect it's a bug with Promash, especially given its age.

I have a NAS drive where I store all my recipes, sessions etc. That way, regardless of which computer I am using, I can get access to my data.

Under Windows 7, if you do not run Promash in XP compatible mode, it crashes whenever you try and reference the networked drive. Once running in XP compatible mode (or whatever its called), Promash deals with the network drive without issue.

Like I said, it might just be my setup.

Windows 7 has additional security for accessing data on a network so I suspect that is the problem rather than Promash. There are some settings that you can change but I don't have them handy.

You can install ProMash under WINE on a linux machine and access it over VNC (from Windows7) or use Windows Virtual PC, Virtual XP mode (within Windows7) or the same under VMWare. 3 options, all work well. Windows Virtual PC, XP mode is probably the slickest but to each their own. Recently installed it to export a few old recipes for use in BeerSmith (using Doc's handy ProMash to BeerSmith conversion tool).

Cheers
reVox

Latest posts

Back