Problems At The Local Cafe...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is strange here is that the problem seems follow the place -and not the owner. Seems odd that two owners at the same venue have the same sloppy routine with flushing their taps.
Is it possible that they have the same staff, who's job it may be to look after the bar/cleanliness of the lines etc?
Even if not it may well be that they're just all doing the same thing and/or following an incorrect procedure or cleaning regime.

Hello all.

Generally speaking there are numerous causes for low quality beer from the taps. I will cover just a few to see if we can clear the issues up.

Beer that has a light egg / rotten smell can be an indicator of contamination caused by contact with brass fittings in the beer system. Stainless Steel beer systems avoid this.

Beer that seems more bitter / bitey / unusual taste is generally the result of dirty beer lines. Bracton / Lion Nathan / Fosters Group Specifications requires the beer lines to be cleaned once a week with a two part cleaner (generally Bracton DP1 & DP2 or Bracton Low pH) for a minimum of two hours.

Beer that does not retain its head can be caused by many factors including: temperature of the beer, beer hygiene (or lack thereof) , dirty beer glasses, tap bore sizes and beer type to name a few.

I hope this helps, I can help if there are more specifics provided.

Regards,

Russell

Latest posts

Back