Problem Discussion Thread: Mini Keg Regulators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good Kee. Any thoughts of adding a ball lock post as one of the output options? You could keep this in rather than the plug so it is still sealed when not in use while having a secondary connection option while travelling.

Undoing the grub screw is really easy to do. On the unit I have at home I have actually changed the grub screw with a small wing nut so I can undo by hand and remove the as line this way. So I think because the plug can be removed so easily like this I don't think an actual ball lock post is actually necessary for quick disconnection. The ball lock post would add a small amount of cost but I really think once you try it you will not find it to be necessary.

If however we get enough interest for a ball lock post it's certainly something we would be happy to make but it just would be at some additional cost. Probably about $10-15 extra.

We are going to release this product very soon. Are there any of you guys interested to trial this new mini regulator?:

We are going to give a couple away but we need people who are ideally local to us in Springvale, Victoria. Also people who are willing to come back to us with some feedback.

If you are interested send me PM in the next 2-3 days.

I'm close and will test it! I'll send you a pm

We are going to release this product very soon. Are there any of you guys interested to trial this new mini regulator?:

We are going to give a couple away but we need people who are ideally local to us in Springvale, Victoria. Also people who are willing to come back to us with some feedback.
I’d love to help you guys test the regulator
I use one in the fridge to gas a growler in the fridge door and draft beer via a tap inside the fridge door (the boss of the kitchen and all other places wouldn’t let me drill a hole in the door of the fridge. Bloody fun police)
I also use my regulator in an esky full of ice to draft from the growler for going to parties etc
So I use these regs under different circumstances
I’m not quite handy to your shop (in Ballarat)
But would be more than happy to test the regulator under the conditions that I have described

PM sent.

Does the new design have a copper blow out disc ?
Having found the copper blow out disc on a 41C+ in my garage and having left pressure in the mini reg I ordered a new one - do you sell the blow out discs?
Love the continuing investment in design by Kegland, still suggesting for Brewzilla 4.0 a DC pump to control flow rate by voltage:)

Having found the copper blow out disc on a 41C+ in my garage and having left pressure in the mini reg I ordered a new one - do you sell the blow out discs?
Love the continuing investment in design by Kegland, still suggesting for Brewzilla 4.0 a DC pump to control flow rate by voltage:)

Yes that's a bit unfortunate when cylinders are full the pressure can really climb when the cylinder gets hot. Hot cars in a parking lot seem to be the most common cause of burst disks going off. We have just put the burst disk up on the website here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/replacement-3000psi-burst-disk-for-all-in-one-mini-regualtor.html

The pump in the BrewZilla is an AC pump at the moment. If we put in a device to clip the AC waveform this will control the pump speed however the electronics to do this add some small degree of unreliability to the device which is the only problem. In your opinion would it be worth trading a small amount of reliability for the push button luxury of additional power controller device? It can certainly be done but it's a matter of understanding the trade off. The current ball valve is quite reliable and simple. Would be keen to hear what you other guys think on this topic.

By the way guys we already have enough people to get feedback from so don't bother PM me anymore about getting a trial free Mini Regulator. We get inundated with responses so no need to contact us anymore regarding this. Did not realise how many people would be looking at this post.

The pump in the BrewZilla is an AC pump at the moment. If we put in a device to clip the AC waveform this will control the pump speed however the electronics to do this add some small degree of unreliability to the device which is the only problem. In your opinion would it be worth trading a small amount of reliability for the push button luxury of additional power controller device? It can certainly be done but it's a matter of understanding the trade off. The current ball valve is quite reliable and simple. Would be keen to hear what you other guys think on this topic.
I'm happy with a ball valve as it's simple and suits my current setup and brew day - I don't tend to leave the setup unattended for long.

However, if I was to look at automation and control then float switches and (DC) electronically controlled pumps and valves would need to be retrofitted, so a DC pump would be useful for people looking to do similar with less concern for pump damage.

Yes that's a bit unfortunate when cylinders are full the pressure can really climb when the cylinder gets hot. Hot cars in a parking lot seem to be the most common cause of burst disks going off. We have just put the burst disk up on the website here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/replacement-3000psi-burst-disk-for-all-in-one-mini-regualtor.html

KISS

I bought a mini Reg a couple of months ago, And it worked fine till today. I want to pressurize the fermenter to transfer the brew. Found the suspected problem. A blocked filter. A fine copper mesh. I drilled 2 small holes through it and it now works fine. Where the gas bottle screws in, remove the teflon washer and you will see a disc with the 2 holes. Using cir clip pliers. It unscrews. Turn it over to see the mesh filter.

Attachments

• reg filter.jpg
    reg filter.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Reg.jpg
    Reg.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 37
I'm happy with a ball valve as it's simple and suits my current setup and brew day - I don't tend to leave the setup unattended for long.

However, if I was to look at automation and control then float switches and (DC) electronically controlled pumps and valves would need to be retrofitted, so a DC pump would be useful for people looking to do similar with less concern for pump damage.

I used to use a brewery that has more automation with float switches etc and I must say I spent more time fixing flow sensors, level sensors, and cleaning crap of sensors so they worked correctly. So it can be great when they are working but I also wonder if having more sensors and float switches make the whole process more troublesome to be honest. Don't get me wrong I really like electronics and automation however when you are varying the brewing process, using a wide range of ingredients from dried coconut to grains to other fruit and vegetables it's hard to make all this stuff work reliably. The reality is you still generally need to be present during the brew day as it's quite complicated to automate adding ingredients, preventing boil overs, checking gravity during boil and sparging.

We are happy to make these float switches and I am sure some of you would purchase them. Am I on my own hear and do you guys want us to make some float switches and sensors to assist with automation of the brewery? You do not need to worry about damaging our current pump by restricting the output. This will not damage our current pump.

I bought a mini Reg a couple of months ago, And it worked fine till today. I want to pressurize the fermenter to transfer the brew. Found the suspected problem. A blocked filter. A fine copper mesh. I drilled 2 small holes through it and it now works fine. Where the gas bottle screws in, remove the teflon washer and you will see a disc with the 2 holes. Using cir clip pliers. It unscrews. Turn it over to see the mesh filter.

Its quite uncommon for the filter to get blocked but it's good to know that you found the solution. Did any liquid possibly get into the filter.

Back