Priming With Chocolate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJedi

Reaction score
I'm coming up to the end of a secondary ferment for my Robust Chocolate Porter. I added dark chocolate to the boil and dark chocolate and cocao nibs to the primary, it has a pretty good aroma and okay flavour. But...I want to be rock it out and prime my bottle with chocolate.

Has anyone tried this before? or primed with anything similar?

I'm coming up to the end of a secondary ferment for my Robust Chocolate Porter. I added dark chocolate to the boil and dark chocolate and cocao nibs to the primary, it has a pretty good aroma and okay flavour. But...I want to be rock it out and prime my bottle with chocolate.

Has anyone tried this before? or primed with anything similar?

yep, but forgot that drinking chocolate (I used that) has a high sugar content. Overcarbed bottles ! Know the sugar contents of your primer. Did it need chocolate as a primer .. nah. If you got good aroma and flavour now, I doubt a priming with chocolate will really help. Carb some bottles with sugar only and see if they taste any different.

i was one of the lucky recipients of 20 litres of chocolate bock,from the Jamieson Brewery in vic ,last year and the way i added choc flavour was to melt 400g of good swiss chocolate(70% cocoa) ,pour into the secondary,and lager for 6 weeks on top of it. the wort already had a large amount of choc malt already and this method REALLY added to the choc flavour this is the way that Sam Adams do it ,apparently,and i would highly recommend it .Not sure about the priming issue though,it would depend on the sugar content,i think

Rather then priming just with chocolate I'd suggest priming with dex as per usual and use unsweetened cocoa aswell which will contain next to no sugar! Same effect really just a much more reliable outcome (no undercarbed beers or bottle bombs and also you wont get all the additives in chocolate such as milk and non-coco oils)

Do this as a bulk prime btw, will be much easier, trust me if you havent done it before you wont go back after you try it!

Goodluck, sound delicious for such weather!

Drewey!

+1 to priming with unsweetened cocoa and dex / sugar

My last batch of choc porter I added the cocoa to primary and I think a lot settled out in the yeast cake

Adding at bulk prime should equal bulk choc hit :)

Latest posts

Back