Priming sugar left in fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flokitheraider

Reaction score
Hi AHB

Recently brewed an AG batch with Kevik yeast, finished fermentation fine so I added my calculated amount of dextrose to achieve 2.5 volumes of co2 to the fermenter (bulk prime).

Unfortunately I got busy and wasn't able to bottle, It has sat in the fermenter for the last 6 day and I just placed it in the fridge yesterday, usually my Stubbies with Kevik will reach acceptable carbonation within 4-6 days.

I usually drink a 25L batch in the first 2-3 weeks but I have had the odd stubbie that hangs around longer which can be a slightly over carbed (foam slowly overflows) so this makes me think that it can take months for yeast to consume all the sugar

My question is how much priming sugar would you assume is left? should I add any more?

At a guess I think this batch will just take weeks to carbonate rather than days???

Take a gravity reading and compare it to your fg prior to bulk priming. If it’s similar you can assume the sugar has been turned to alcohol. If it’s greater you can use some maths to calculate the attenuation of the priming sugar.
My guess is that the yeast has probably done its thing (assuming temp was in range) and you’ll need to re-prime.

Ed:
The maths isn’t that complicated. Every gram of sugar per 100 ml should raise the specific gravity by roughly 4 points. So if you put 150g of sugar in a 20 litre batch that should raise the gravity by roughly
150g / (10 * 20l) * 4 = 3 gravity points

E.g If your fg reading was 1.012, adding the priming sugar should have bumped it up to about 1.015. If it’s now at 1.013 you can guess 2/3 of the sugar has been converted.

Last edited:
Back