Priming a Dunkelweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilbay

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a bit of a newbie to brewing, and to this forum, so forgive me if this has been asked before and feel free to point me in the right direction.

I have put down a dunkelweizen that smells, looks and tastes great. I plan on bulk priming but am getting a bit confused about the quantity of dextrose to use per litre.

I have 21 litres to bottle, It was fermented at a max temp of 22 degrees and I am looking for a CO2 volume of around 3.9.

On checking out the web and various forums I am seeing people saying between 6 and 7gms/ litre but when I use one of the Priming calculators, such as Brewers Friend, I am getting a figure of 285gms for the 21 litres, which equates to 13.5gms / litre. This seems a bit high for bottling and I don't want bombs.

Am i missing something? Your help would be greatly appreciated as i want to bottle today.

Hi neilbay,

Welcome to the forum. I just looked at a couple of recipes of Weizen I did and found that I used between 6 and 7gm/L for the last few brews I did and they were around 19-20C mark. That was good enough for me. Try this attachment for size if you want to get technical about CO2 volumes or gm/L. It's accurate enough, though some of it may not be perfect.

Attachments

• Essential Guide to Bulk Priming PDF.pdf
    270.9 KB · Views: 38
Hi neilbay,

Welcome to the forum. I just looked at a couple of recipes of Weizen I did and found that I used between 6 and 7gm/L for the last few brews I did and they were around 19-20C mark. That was good enough for me. Try this attachment for size if you want to get technical about CO2 volumes or gm/L. It's accurate enough, though some of it may not be perfect.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Did you get a good creamy head that held well with yours at that carb rate?. I got spoilt when I was in Bavaria and am trying to duplicate a Franziskaner Dunkel as best as I can.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, much appreciated. Did you get a good creamy head that held well with yours at that carb rate?
Hi neilbay,

The guide you provided is perfect more me starting out.. Many thanks for that.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Did you get a good creamy head that held well with yours at that carb rate?. I got spoilt when I was in Bavaria and am trying to duplicate a Franziskaner Dunkel as best as I can.

Yep. I lived in Munich for a couple of years so know what you mean.

I've had bad experiences with high volumes of CO2. While you're starting out, consider more conservative rates and work up from there. I pretty much use 2.0 volumes for most styles and I usually get great head retention on dark beers

Latest posts

Back