Priming A Brett Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Reaction score
hi guys. my first brett beer has just finished fermenting(pellicle is dropping anyway), now i would like some advice on priming it. it is the orval clone from jamils book and started a bit higher on the og,i got better effiency than usual,but now im not sure on the priming level. should i prime a bit low because it might keep going in the bottle or just go with the normal amount of sugar according to the calculator.im thinking at the moment to prime a bit low but not sure how this will work. its all going into orval bottles so hope fully these are strong enough either way but any help would be definatly taken on board.

thanks dwayne

How long has it been fermenting? I'd advise leaving it a couple of months at the least and then bottle as normal. Once there are no more sugars to consume it shouldn't carb up any more than normal but you want to make sure it's really finished before you do that.

its been fermenting with the brett for about four months now, and the pellicle is dropping away.i havent done a hydro sample but believed once the pellicle dropped that was it?

I had a brett tripel on primary for 2.5 months, and it has taken at least 3 weeks to see any signs of carb, and i gave it a normal dose.

I had a brett tripel on primary for 2.5 months, and it has taken at least 3 weeks to see any signs of carb, and i gave it a normal dose.

shit ive waited this long and now it will take forever to carb up? i just want to drink it now! :icon_cheers:

shit ive waited this long and now it will take forever to carb up? i just want to drink it now! :icon_cheers:

Just add some fresh yeast when you prime it, that way you don't have to wait as long.

thanks for that.would quarter of a pack of us 05 or notto do the job? or would this be to little/to much? would i just rehydrate and mix in with the sugar?
sorry for all the questions but it tastes good now and after so long i really dont want to stuff it up.

You dont even have to carb the bugger, lol, mine came out at 8.5%, and i cracked one at 2 weeks, i thought, bloody hell! no bubbles!, drank it anyway of course, bloody lovely. Good part is no one else in my family likes it... will be making more for sure, lol.
But i must admit, i opened one last night, its starting to carb now, very morish.
If it has taken 3 weeks to show signs of life on my beer, i can imagine 4 months has taken its toll on your yeast.

Latest posts

Back