Primary, secondary, dry hopping help??

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkey brewing

Reaction score
Hey brewers, im "dry hopping" lets say day 7 in primary, then on day 10 transferring to secondary with finnings, day 14 transfer to bottling vessel, is this the way to do these 3 steps? Dont have a way of cold conditioning atm & the hops I only want in fermenting vessel for 3 days

Hey brewers, im "dry hopping" lets say day 7 in primary, then on day 10 transferring to secondary with finnings, day 14 transfer to bottling vessel, is this the way to do these 3 steps? Dont have a way of cold conditioning atm & the hops I only want in fermenting vessel for 3 days
There are differing points of view on when to dry hop, some will say earlier before fermentation has finished others will say as you are planning. For me the secondary I would be leaving the beer a little longer to let everything drop out, also are you going to have co2 in the secondary?

There are differing points of view on when to dry hop, some will say earlier before fermentation has finished others will say as you are planning. For me the secondary I would be leaving the beer a little longer to let everything drop out, also are you going to have co2 in the secondary?
Not unless its still there from primary, just incase my wording is wrong, this sunday my brew has been fermenting for 1 week, this is when I was dry hopping for 3 days, so day 11 in primary fermenter I was transferring to another fermenting vessel (secondary) to then have it of the yeast trub as well as clear the brew up.

Should I just dry hop 3 days before bottling? That way im still using the same fermenter until bulk priming and bottling using my bottling fermenter

I wouldn’t do secondary at all. More oxidation, more chance of infection. Just chuck the hops into the fermenter and leave it as buttoned up as you can.
Bulk prime into your bottling bucket and just transfer it the once.

I wouldn’t do secondary at all. More oxidation, more chance of infection. Just chuck the hops into the fermenter and leave it as buttoned up as you can.
Bulk prime into your bottling bucket and just transfer it the once.
In that case, i have read to not leave hops from dry hopping in fermenting vessel for more then 3 days, so therefore best to dry hop a few days before transferring to bottling bucket?

I think maybe for your first brews try and keep everything simple, I try and avoid dry hopping and only do it on the occasional AIPA's I make. Generally I will secondary but that is really yeast dependent, SO4 will drop out and stick to the bottom of the fermenter, real easy to unload the beer straight into the bottling bucket, bottle and condition.

gelatin compacts dry hops to the bottom of fermenter. id recommend not transferring to secondary until you get a co2 bottle for kegging.

are you cold crashing?

you dont need temp control for cold crash. just cool fermenter for 24 hours at whatever your fridge is set to, then add gelatine. 24 hours after you can transfer to bottling bucket.

temp control is important for active fermentation.

what finings were you going to use?

Its just the finnings that comes with the starter kit, the satchel, im not to fussed about it with all the info I have read and videos I have seen, if its best to avoid it thats what I'll do.

Latest posts

Back