Primary Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_purple_dragon

Reaction score
G'day brewers,

I'm a rookie brewer on his second brew, the first a Coopers Lager that took 5 days for the primary fermentation at about 25 deg. I know the temp is a bit high but thats what I have to work with for now. OG-1038 & FG-1006

The second brew at the same temp, a Coopers Canadian Blonde OG-1045 & currently 1012 after 63 hours with very little airlock action. Is 3.5 to 4 days to quick for primary?

Allthoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
TPD

G'day brewers,

I'm a rookie brewer on his second brew, the first a Coopers Lager that took 5 days for the primary fermentation at about 25 deg. I know the temp is a bit high but thats what I have to work with for now. OG-1038 & FG-1006

The second brew at the same temp, a Coopers Canadian Blonde OG-1045 & currently 1012 after 63 hours with very little airlock action. Is 3.5 to 4 days to quick for primary?

Allthoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
TPD

the fact that you describe the time frame in hours should be an indication that enough time hasnt elapsed. 1012 is fine for a FG, but every brew differs depending on your conditions, adjuncts, etc. if you are in a rush to bottle it, then take hydro readings over 3 consecutive days, and if they are the same, then it is safe to bottle. but there isnt too much bad that can come from leaving it for a while (i have left my 2 brews in for 2 weeks each). i bottle after the brew becomes darker to look at from the top, which is in indication that the yeast has settled out of suspension, and a very good indicator that fermentation has finished. also, it will help with the clarity of your final product.

so, in short, RDWHAHB (relax, dont worry, have a home brew)

Lobby

Yep as lobby said dont rush it. Home brew's are better the longer u leave it..

Thanks for the reply,
It's not so much a rush as just being too keen to get some stock up. I know the patience rule, just chompin at the bit for a brew.

Cheers

Thats the hardest thing to do is get stock and empty bottles balance.. Ive put down a coopers sparkling ale and my lhbs said to me wait 4 months ... I said your f%$in kidding . he said you will thank me.....
so i think the trick is to a mix of different varieties to suit the climate and your local conditions . Here in brisbane when we dont get a huge amount of cooler days . Im going hard to get my stock up so come summer Ill just be drinkin...

Thats the hardest thing to do is get stock and empty bottles balance.. Ive put down a coopers sparkling ale and my lhbs said to me wait 4 months ... I said your f%$in kidding . he said you will thank me.....
so i think the trick is to a mix of different varieties to suit the climate and your local conditions . Here in brisbane when we dont get a huge amount of cooler days . Im going hard to get my stock up so come summer Ill just be drinkin...

I know what you mean.I just bought a second fermenter to step up production during the cooler months and let it mature over 3-5 months.

I know what you mean.I just bought a second fermenter to step up production during the cooler months and let it mature over 3-5 months.

I've only just got this one up and running, I don't thing the wife will appreciate another.

:)

I've only just got this one up and running, I don't thing the wife will appreciate another.

:)

I'm hearin ya. I'm tryin to get a stock built but I can't put them aside for too long without a sample. Then one taste leads to another and then next thing the supply has diminished. It doesnt help that the mrs is expecting a reduction in the beer budget in lieu of my hours in the shed, and I am trying to buy, brew and store the HB whilst still buying cases. I am trying to convince her that even though it looks like I am spending a few bob extra on a basic brewing set-up ie.fridge, freezer, fridgemate, cleaning/sanitising, bits n pieces, and frequent visits to the HBS (which is conveniently around the corner fom my house) resulting in k&k, it is all going to work out better for everyone in the long-term. Besides, it's good fun.

At the start of my brewing I never realy kept beers until they were properly ready. But then I made a what I thought was a shit house batch and just forgot about it for a while, it was a malt shovel 2 row lager. when I got back to it, it was fantastic. aged perfectly. one of the best brews iv ever made. I heard they dont make this stuff anymore, I hope I am wrong.

im only on my second K&K as well, already polished off most of the 1st batch, i let it sit for 2 weeks then started throwing it the fridge as needed. Theirs is def a noticeable taste difference in the last few bottles i have had (approx 4-5 week sold) a much nicer aromour and taste and better head.

If it helps i have my new batch on a tiled floor, has helped drop temps by a good 4-5 degrees, so maybe try putting the fermenter somewhere else if you can.

cheers

If it helps i have my new batch on a tiled floor, has helped drop temps by a good 4-5 degrees, so maybe try putting the fermenter somewhere else if you can.

cheers

Damn, thats a mighty fine idea, the old cold concrete method. Just have to lift it back up for bottling. I like it, I like it.
Gonna do a Tooheys Dark Ale next, a mate of mine gave me a sample of his, mighty fine drop.

Thanks for the ideas.....
TPD

Yo Drag-o,

I am just a pup as well, third batch bubbling away as I type but will give my 2 cents anyway!

I did a canadian blonde first batch... I had to go away for a night and not wanting to leave the heat belt on for a day and a half , i took the chance! Wouldn't you know it, a freakishly cold night come to town and stops the brewing :angry:

I spoke to a fellow brewer and he said "get it back up to temp and give it a shake" so I did and it was off again!!

It only got down to SG 1013 but still good, none the less.

He told me that its better to let the wort get too cold then hot - I think the yeast goes to sleep if its cold but dies if its too hot, obviously neither are desired but shizen happens... So I am still ageing it but will let you know how it comes out - I don't have very high hopes!!

Anyway best of luck!

Hey Cocko,

I hear ya with regards to the temp. I'm in the process of pimping an old home made esky, one made from cool room panels. From there I'm going to try the rotating frozen bottles of salty water. Hopefully the cooler temps will start to roll in soon.

Take it easy,
TPD

I am doing a Blue Mountain Lager with the Wyeast Ringwood Yeast, my airlock stopped bubbling in just 36 hours! That was amazingly fast.

Hey Cocko,

I hear ya with regards to the temp. I'm in the process of pimping an old home made esky, one made from cool room panels. From there I'm going to try the rotating frozen bottles of salty water. Hopefully the cooler temps will start to roll in soon.

Take it easy,
TPD

I don't know what temp control methods you have looked into but if you are like me, its probably every google result!!

Anyway I read some good advice about a fridge set up which I am off to set up this weekend - The fridge!

FREE fridge from Clive peeters or H.Normal etc - they often bring back the old fridge when they deliver and are happy to give it away... So you get a thermostat controlled power plug and hook it up to a heat belt or pad - the probe goes into the fermenter... BUT in Brisvegas you are probably looking for cooling methods and that is where the fridge, or eski in your case, is the affective - like you say, you just add frozen 2lt bottle to cool....

Anyway I am sure you have read and know all that but just wanted to make myself feel like I am adding something to the cause...

Brew on my friend!!

Cocko.

Back