Pride Of Ringwood

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60min bittering addition is what im only going to use POR for. Made an aussie lager with it at 60 and 20. The 20min addition is way to resiny/earthy for me. And this was with fresh flowers.

I have brewed a double batch of this beer for my xmas beer to take to the relos. And I have to say its tasting mighty fine so far. S-189 really is great.

Recipe: 29 - Xmas Draught
Brewer: Dazza
Asst Brewer:
Style: German Pilsner (Pils)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 27.70 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 18.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.42 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 81.14 %
0.28 kg Carapils / Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6.69 %
17.00 gm Pride of Ringwood (Flowers) [9.60 %] (60 Hops 18.1 IBU
0.51 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 12.17 %

I'm waiting for Mr Morgan's famous "Shame of Ringwood" line.

POR ... I love it!

necro alert.

am thinking of doing some semi-aussie/mixed aussie-american-english-whatever ales using POR as the bittering addition, and just wanted to know if people have successfully mixed it with other hops? care to share those experiences? i would guess at it mixing well with the earthy, english hop varieties but not as much with the american citrus-focused hops (though this is 100% bull shit speculation and i'd love to be proven wrong as i have many i'd consider putting it with).

at the simplest, off the top of my head, i would do an ale along the lines of:

pale ale - 90ish %
wheat - 7ish%
dex or maybe crystal - 3ish%

POR @ 60 for 25-30IBU
another hop/s for flavour and aroma for 10-25IBU

wlp009 or even just us-05.

would love to hear some feedback and/or experiences!

POR is used as the base in many common "upmarket" aussie beers. Cascade use it plus late Hersbrucker (I believe they are changing to galaxy), Lashes 101 uses it plus NS and something else late.. I'd guess it's even in Crownies. Ducatiboy mentions that it's used in Coopers Dark plus Hallertau.

I use it in my competition lagers followed by a bit of late Hersbrucker.

i'm sure i've heard that hahn use it for their Kosciusko Pale Ale too for bittering, with galaxy. time to experiment me thinks.

I had a batch of coopers real ale turn banana from the heat when trying to reuse the yeast from the bottle. POR was all I had in the stash at the time so I chucked it in. Maybe 25 or 30 grams. It turned out pretty good for a piss into the wind.

Bribie G said:
Ah that's the one. Never tried it, life's too short for mids. :beerbang:
My better half's favourite beer. Was awesome when I could get it in long neck form and reuse them. Alas now I can only get stubbies.
Still it's not bad at all for a light beer.

I use it for bittering with Galaxy late in my Pride Of The Galaxy Ale. Comes out very nice.

Latest posts

Back