• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Prices For Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyt

Reaction score
Hi people im new to the forum and have been brewing in bottles for a while, now ive been offered 12 19lt kegs and co2 reg with 4 taps for $400. Does this seem a fair price? Its from a friend who is cleaning out their grandparents garage

Do you mean 12 Kegs?????

If so ....dive dive dive!!!!

Pok

Do you mean 12 Kegs?????

If so ....dive dive dive!!!!

Pok

yes it is 12 kegs and i just found out that 8 are still full of beer!!!!
I think that 12 might be to many for someone starting out i might have get rid of some. the gear also includes a 60 lt fermenter

Conservative estimates.

Kegs $60 ea. total $720
Regulator $50
Taps (assuming poor condition) $50 ea. total $200

Grand conservative total $970

Thought it sounded ok! Looks like its time to start kegging

As the other guys have said, bargain. Take it, take it all. If you've got the room to store them, you'll never have too many kegs ;) I've got 9 and consider myself "smalltime". If you sell some off, you might regret it later when the hobby gets a tight grip on you.

Kegs $60 ea. total $720
Regulator $50
Taps (assuming poor condition) $50 ea. total $200
Beginning your kegging setup with 160L of beer in 8 of the 12 kegs, priceless.

:p

As the other guys have said, bargain. Take it, take it all. If you've got the room to store them, you'll never have too many kegs ;) I've got 9 and consider myself "smalltime". If you sell some off, you might regret it later when the hobby gets a tight grip on you.

Agreed, don't sell them. Stick them anywhere you have free space. Find someone you trust that has free space. But don't sell them, you will regret it!

$400... I wish!

Hoyt,

Buy the works and don't get rid of any kegs. Even though 12 kegs might seem like too many now, if you find yourself short a keg or 3 sometime in the future, you'll really regret getting rid of a few now.

I've been very lucky when it comes to acquiring kegs. About the time I was thinking of getting in to kegging, a member of my club was looking to sell. His reason was that no matter what he did, the beer came out of the tap "like the foam they use to fight fires at the airport." So I bought his setup. 6 coke kegs, nitrogen regulator with two pressure gauges (tank & regulator) that was completely refitted for CO2, and an empty 20lb CO2 cylinder. $140. $10 each for the kegs, $30 for the regulator/gauges and the $50 deposit he paid on the CO2 tank. He bought the kegs directly from Coke - they were selling them for $10 each. The only catch was that you had to take an angle grinder to the "property of Coke" etc on the side of the keg yourself before they'd let you have them.

A year later I bought another 4 for $15 each from a rather strange but nice guy who had purchased a few hundred from Coke. That was about 10 years ago. And just this past September I bought another 2 from a friend for $15 each which brings my total inventory to 12. I think that's about my limit, but you never know what the future holds.

A question for those with lots of kegs - 12. What do you do with them? How many are being used to serve at any time? How many have beer in them at any time?

Scott

A question for those with lots of kegs - 12. What do you do with them? How many are being used to serve at any time? How many have beer in them at any time?

I only have 2 taps at present, so at any one time I only have 2 tapped, but that will change once I get more taps. At any given time, I have between 6-11 filled or partially filled. I do 10 gal batches, so that's 2 kegs per batch. I also reuse my yeast 3 times, so that's 6 kegs from one smack pack or white labs vial. I can also fit 12 kegs max in my serving fridge, which is a commercial single door cooler like you see in convenience stores. So for me, 12 kegs is absolutely ideal. I also brew faster than I drink, so it's nice having the storage available instead of having to brew 'to order'. Sure, only 2 are tapped at any one time, but within 30 seconds I can change over to another keg. Having the variety is nice too.

Don't forget, you can leave a few full kegs in a fridge or cold-room to condition for a few months.
I also use 1 keg as a "pre filtering" keg.
They don't all need to be on tap at once.

if you dont buy them....you will forever regret it!!

Been lurking for a while now and my thanks for everbody's brewing knowledge that I have been tapping into via the forum.

Speaking of "tapping", I have been offered for sale the following items:

7 x 19L kegs
1 x regulator
1 x gas bottle
1 x fridge with tap
associated fittings, old fermenters, random brewing crap, etc.

I was wondering what is your opinion of a fair price to offer for these items (assuming that they are in reasonable condition). Would offering $400 make me look like a tightarse?

Hope it's OK to hijack the thread. :icon_cheers:

Cheers!

Been lurking for a while now and my thanks for everbody's brewing knowledge that I have been tapping into via the forum.

Speaking of "tapping", I have been offered for sale the following items:

7 x 19L kegs
1 x regulator
1 x gas bottle
1 x fridge with tap

I was wondering what is your opinion of a fair price to offer for these items (assuming that they are in reasonable condition). Would offering $400 make me look like a tightarse?

Hope it's OK to hijack the thread. :icon_cheers:

Cheers!

Well you should have a pretty good idea from all the other replies. I'd be surprised if they accepted $400 - a new 'mykegonlegs' CO2 bottle is worth over $300 on its own. So if thats still plenty in date your laughing. If its a rental cylinder then your not buying the cylinder, just a rental contract, and its still a good deal. (7 kegs is over $400 on its own)

That really depends on a lot of things like, the fridge and it's condition, type of tap, gas bottle size and if it is actually owned by the seller, is it all in good working order, is it fairly clean and usable (or will it take you a weeks hard scrubbing to make it so?) etc.

7 x 19L kegs
1 x regulator
1 x gas bottle
1 x fridge with tap

(assuming that they are in reasonable condition). Would offering $400 make me look like a tightarse?

$401.00 :lol:

Well you should have a pretty good idea from all the other replies. I'd be surprised if they accepted $400 - a new 'mykegonlegs' CO2 bottle is worth over $300 on its own. So if thats still plenty in date your laughing. If its a rental cylinder then your not buying the cylinder, just a rental contract, and its still a good deal. (7 kegs is over $400 on its own)

Yeah, I was thinking it might be a bit low, but I suppose the worst he could say is "no". I haven't even seen the gear, but apparently it's in working order - the guy is moving, doesn't brew any more, so just wants to get rid of it at a decent price. In the good old Aussie spirit, I'm looking for a good deal, but don't want either of us to get ripped-off.

Maybe $500 would be more in line with market price?

Thanks for the rapid replies! :)

Latest posts

Back