Preventing oxidation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then again some new brewers out there still wont be aware that it means Indian Pale Ale etc.

Is that just a typo? Are you aware it’s not "Indian Pale Ale"? It actually stands for India Pale Ale, as in pale ale brewed and prepared to withstand the long hard sea journey by ship from the UK to India.

Although these days it seems to stand for pretty much any hoppy beer.

I think his history is entirely correct.
IPA was formulated to be shipped from UK to India in wooden barrels, carried across the equator in a wooden sailing ship. The brewers were payed on the dock in India, the extra hops and alcohol were used as a preservative, about the only safe options available to brewers at the time.
Mark

Is that just a typo? Are you aware it’s not "Indian Pale Ale"? It actually stands for India Pale Ale, as in pale ale brewed and prepared to withstand the long hard sea journey by ship from the UK to India.

Yes I'm aware of the basic history. My bad. IMO though its a general title far to overused considering the ever growing broad varieties but I guess its instead of coming up with dozens of different titles.

Yes I'm aware of the basic history. My bad. IMO though its a general title far to overused considering the ever growing broad varieties but I guess its instead of coming up with dozens of different titles.

It certainly is a far overused title.

Sorry mate, your spelling may be correct but evidence these days suggests your history is not.

Will link later if required.

Where do you think IPA originated? Are you thinking Imperial Pale Ale?

Last edited:
To all of you who continue to say that

I think his history is entirely correct.
IPA was formulated to be shipped from UK to India in wooden barrels, carried across the equator in a wooden sailing ship. The brewers were payed on the dock in India, the extra hops and alcohol were used as a preservative, about the only safe options available to brewers at the time.
Mark

You might want to look in to this fellas - https://www.beerandbrewer.com/mitch-steele-debunks-ipa-legend/
That presentation was over a year ago now...

To all of you who continue to say that

You might want to look in to this fellas - https://www.beerandbrewer.com/mitch-steele-debunks-ipa-legend/
That presentation was over a year ago now...

I have heard that sort of opinion, almost exclusively from American craft brewers. Have also seen recipes from the period for beers made for the "India Trade" the highly hoped higher alcohol beers typical associated with IPA found favour in the home marketplace to, so it was made domestic consumption as well as for export.
There are also traditional "Export" versions of Lager and Pilsner again with higher Hop and Alcohol than the regular home versions, and for the same preservative reasons, with the same outcome it also found a place in the home market.
When it comes to Porter, God knows, it has always been a bit of a catchall style with lots of variation in its specks.
Weight of evidence suggests that its origins were in the export (to India) trade and that the style spread from there.
Mark

Oops, fellas we effectively derailed this thread. There must be more appropriate threads on this IPA debate. :p

There can be little doubt that strong hoppy beers were brewed in the UK prior to the pale ales bound for India.

My understanding is they were brewed high in alcohol and hops as a preservative. But also the fact that the yeast was continually roused by the rocking motion of the sea they continued to ferment and reach a higher attenuation than usual. This would also have helped with preventing oxidation:D in the porous wooden barrels.

The term IPA was coined by British troops returning from India craving the highly attenuated strong dry bitter ale they had become accustomed to while serving the British Empire abroad .

The "porous wooden barrels" were all pitch lined, as was the case with all (or almost all) beer barrels at the time.
Brewers tend to have an allergy to anything porous that harbours bacteria.
Mark

Fix fat finger fu

Last edited:
I'm happy to believe that as a significant point of beer brewing evolution by neccesity or demand etc.. Drinking! the old Brit/ UK culture of all, the military included.
Hence the term. "Cant go wrong with IPA"
It is robust and to think it may even get better after rocking around on a sailing ship for months.

The "porous wooden barrels" were all pitch lined, as was thee case wilt all (or almost all) beer barrels at the time.
Brewers tend to have an allergy to anything porous that harbours bacteria.
Mark

The wooden key stone and shives were not pitch lined and could allow the ingress of oxygen. Between you and me I only added the oxidation comment in as a Blackadder style vaguely plausible excuse to keep on topic so can you please shut up about it.:p

Last edited:
Yep, numerous lines of amateur and academic research suggests that IPA was sold on GB prior to pale being exported to India.

I am yet to see any actual evidence based arguments that it comes from high-booze, high-hop beers being brewed to survive the passage to the colonies. Seems it’s just one of those assumptions that became ‘fact’ over time.

Yep, numerous lines of amateur and academic research suggests that IPA was sold on GB prior to pale being exported to India.

I am yet to see any actual evidence based arguments that it comes from high-booze, high-hop beers being brewed to survive the passage to the colonies. Seems it’s just one of those assumptions that became ‘fact’ over time.
I believe it. :bowdown:

Actually the term IPA style was a later day abbreviation after the fact. That has then taken on many further mutations. It was mastered before the term IPA was given to it.

Latest posts

Back