Pressure For Pouring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj2570

Reaction score
Hi,
This might be a silly question but I have just started kegging. So ive charged the keg and been pouring beers, They seem to be coming out a touch too heady. Im pouring at 20-30Kpa is this not enough? I charged the keg fr 48hrs @ 280kpa. I feel the carbonation is right but I think the problem might be with the pressure for pouring?
Thanks

To get your beer to pour start with 3 metres of 5mm beer line. 5mm line has 5psi or resistance per metre.

For beer to be carbonated it must be kept about 12-15psi (80-100kpa).

To adjust the pour speed adjust the line length, not the pressure.

crozdogs chart is absolutely brilliant, use it and you will be within a gnats wotsit of what you need....unless your line size isn't on the chart (ie 5mm :unsure: ).
If you're using flexmaster II 5mm line, let me know your fridge temp and required carb level, I can work it out from there......I've actually updated crozdogs original chart to incorporate the resistance for this line, but have misplaced the file :rolleyes: . It's around here somewhere....
The link I posted above is to Crozdog's revised chart which includes the 5mm ID line

Cheers

Ok so using that calculation I get 81.8 kpa.
I have already charged the keg. So if I just keep it set at this pressure it shouldnt use the C02 should it? Because its already reached equilibrium? And this should be the ideal pressure to pour? It cant overcharge it?
Thanks

Providing your dial is correct it will remain constant and only fill the dead space when you pour a beer.

I am only new to kegging my self.
I used the force carbination and ended up leaving the pressure at 100 Kpi overnight.
In the morning (1 day) it was down to 60kpi.
I adjusted the regulator back to 100.
Next day (2days) it was at 85. the beer pooring ok.
Another adjust to 110.
On the 3rd day it was 100 and pooring perfect every time.
I haven't touch the regulator since.

The calculator is great to give you an idea but I like to get a feel of my own system and see what work best for me.
;)

It takes 2-3 days to reach equilibrium after force-carbing a keg for me.

Ok thanks, that helps alot. Ill keep force carbonating over 48hrs then and set to the pressure off that chart. Thanks for your help

Hey,
My beer seems to be really heady still.. wat could be casusing this?

Are the environment warm, hence the tap warm?
How long is your beer line?
What taps are you using?
What pressure are you pouring at?

I've got a 4 meter line pouring between 110 KPI and a micromatic Tap.

Patience......

Are the environment warm, hence the tap warm?
How long is your beer line?
What taps are you using?
What pressure are you pouring at?

I've got a 4 meter line pouring between 110 KPI and a micromatic Tap.

Patience......

Im not sure what taps it is. Line length is about 2m and pouring at 80kpa but have been trying all different pressures. is there any chance i couldve maybe overcabonated?

It is possible you have over carbed

Turn your gas off and pour without it and see if you still get foam after a couple

If you do it's overcarbed / you don't have enough beer line

If over carbed - disconnect the gas and vent the keg over a while - taking it out of the fridge will speed up the gas coming out of solution / as will shaking

Try running your system at 50kPa for a few days if the foam problems go start lifting the pressure slowly over time to you get to a desired carbonation / not pouring foam

The easiest fix to many kegging problems is another meter of line

Cheers

Latest posts

Back