Pressure Cooker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double A

Reaction score
G'day

A quick question to those who use pressure cookers in preparing their yeast starters. I'm thinking of buying one of these but SWMBO wanted to know whether she would be able to cook meat in it when its not being used for brewing pruposes.
I thought it would be ok but rather than end up with some meaty tasting yeast starters I thought I'd see if others use it for cooking or keep it strictly for brewing purposes. :unsure:

Cheers
AA

It's only the gasket that picks up some "flavour", the gaskets can be replaced on most models.

I have a Fagor Duo 9.5L, bought it for about $160 from Vic Basement, have been very happy with it. Although i just do starters directly on the stove in an erlenmeyer now rather than dick around with the pressure cooker.

Cheers DJR.

I assume it will be all good to use in sterilising equipment for yeast storage as well?

Cheers DJR.

I assume it will be all good to use in sterilising equipment for yeast storage as well?

Double A

I use my pressure cooker for sterilising slants for yeast culturing. My pressure cooker is second hand and had been very heavily used by the previous owner. I changed the gasket (more because ti was cracked that any flavours it had picked up) and its been fine. Mind you slants don't go directly in your beer so any flavours put there by the cooker wouldn't matter so much.

As long as you clean it out well between uses you should be right. Gunk can build up in the steam vent mechanism so make sure that's well cleaned. Other than that there really isn't anywhere on a pressure cooker for flavours to hide. the gaskets are pretty impermeable and you certainly aren't going to get flavours being absorbed into the metal.

You should be OK.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back