Power Bill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, the PV panels offset your power first, and if they are producing more than you're consuming, then they export the remainder to the grid. The amount you see on your bill is the amount you're exporting, so if it's $10 a month, then that's just the surplus and the remainder is being used to offset your existing power. It's hard to work out how much your PV panels are producing daily unless you have a display on your inverter or you get good at reading the smartmeter in your meter box.

Feed-in tarrifs vary from state to state (gross vs net and the amount that you get/kwh I believe). NSW was the best .. until last week when they pulled the rug out from everybody who has a system and all the suppliers.

This country's overly complicated system of government is so retarded when it comes to this stuff sometimes

BTW our $200/quarter is all our power. No gas/solar/anything else here.

Oh, we're powering two pumps from our tank water too. 1 for vegie garden and 1 for the housewater.

Solar pays differently in different states. NSW pays gross, Queensland pays net. Meaning here in Qld we get paid for what we export during the day that exceeds what we use in those hours.

We get paid 44 cents per kWh exported, while we pay 21 cents including GST on what we buy. So we don't run the dryer or dishwasher during daylite hours. Wait until the sun goes low and we are no longer producing.

We installed a 5.44 kWh system, 32 panels on the shed roof rated at 170 watts each. The end result is what used to be $600 per quarter plus ambo charges is now totally free, plus we are getting paid an average of $5.50 per day. The last quarter we only had the proper meter installed for 14 days of the billing peroid and we got an $81 credit.

Next bill should net us free power and ambo costs plus a check for around $450 from the electric company.
Highest export day so far was 27 kWh....lowest nil. but average is 12.5 over three months now.
vk4ion_solar.jpg

Cheers,
bud

<Pommy rant>

Shed, being a pommy blow in like yourself, I too am constantly still amazed at the fact that a country with the same population as Syria or Madagascar has to have State Governments at all. Ok it's historical, the Former Colonies, The Tyrrany of Distance, Federation etc. However the idea that we have to have this system due to our vast distances is utter bollocks nowadays. I just got a RO Water System from Nev in Perth overnight and everyone in Australia who was interested just attended the Nats in Melbourne and got home in time for work this morning, we are NOT a big country, we are just a smaller Euro country smeared out around the edge of a friggin huge screaming wilderness. And long may it be so. Sure Queensland and NSW combined are the same size as India but apart from a couple of glitches like Toowoomba or Dubbo nearly everyone lives within spittin of the coast so we are just a long stretched out population belt that could be fitted into something the size of Portugal if everything were rearranged.

What does seem to be the end result is that Premiers and Ministers strut around as if they are little Prime Ministers and Cabinets and local government Mayors Swan around like little Premiers. I think Shed you would agree that State Governments are just glorified County Councils at the end of the day. The recent amalgamations of Councils in Queensland gives some hope. I remember about 15 years ago there was a lot of talk about going to a "provincial" style government with provinces along the lines of French Departaments and just as an example it was proposed "Caboolture Shire, Pine Rivers and Redcliffe combined is a good example of how a workable 'province' could be formed, another good example being the Sunshine coast, etc.......". Waddya know, we now have just that.

Removing a layer of government would surely reduce the number of bloodsucking politicians living on our backs.

Don't get me wrong I love this country in a way I could never go back to the UK, and can even sing the anthem unlike most native born Aussies of my age but the State thing pisses me off. Don't get me going on rail guages now. . :rolleyes:

</ Pommy rant>

Solar pays differently in different states. NSW pays gross, Queensland pays net. Meaning here in Qld we get paid for what we export during the day that exceeds what we use in those hours.

Ahh, didn't know it was different state by state.

So we don't run the dryer or dishwasher during daylite hours. Wait until the sun goes low and we are no longer producing.

That's a great tip.

NSW was the best .. until last week when they pulled the rug out from everybody who has a system and all the suppliers.

It is my understanding that they pulled the plug on any new customers....ones with a contract already won't lose it.
The problem there is they pay gross, and at 66 cents per kWh as well....way to much.

At our 44 cent net here in Qld we will have this system paid at worst in 7 years, at best in 5 years....that isn't too bad considering we will have free power for a long time to come.

bud

It is my understanding that they pulled the plug on any new customers....ones with a contract already won't lose it.
The problem there is they pay gross, and at 66 cents per kWh as well....way to much.

At our 44 cent net here in Qld we will have this system paid at worst in 7 years, at best in 5 years....that isn't too bad considering we will have free power for a long time to come.

bud

Considering that 15% to 20% of all Australians move house each year according to Allied Pickfords (who should know) can you take these systems with you or do they stay welded to the roof?

Nice rant, Bribie^^^. I agree with you. And it's not 'cos i'm pom, i think it's an observation many Australians make, too.

Considering that 15% to 20% of all Australians move house each year according to Allied Pickfords (who should know) can you take these systems with you or do they stay welded to the roof?

As for this, as I understand it the wiring is a big issue. There are companies trying to get housing developers to build houses 'solar ready' ie with the wiring ready to have panels attached. (My knowledge of electrickery is bordering on lethal though so I don't know the ins and outs of it).

The wiring is no big deal. Small inverters can be pluged into a power point...that easy.
Ours is just wired into the panel through a 25 amp breaker, due to it's size.

We are retired and have no intention of moving, so it was a good idea.

Other wise I don't know how much it would add to the value of the house really.

Next bill should net us free power and ambo costs plus a check for around $450 from the electric company.
Highest export day so far was 27 kWh....lowest nil. but average is 12.5 over three months now.
View attachment 41786

Cheers,
bud

Budwiser, will you be needing to pay income tax on that $450 cheque from the electricity company?

The wiring is no big deal. Small inverters can be pluged into a power point...that easy.
Ours is just wired into the panel through a 25 amp breaker, due to it's size.

We are retired and have no intention of moving, so it was a good idea.

Other wise I don't know how much it would add to the value of the house really.

I have read recently that the panels add positive value to a house though most installations are made by people in it for the long haul.

However since the solar subsidy schemes came into place the price of the panels has dropped significantly (one of the excuses for the change in price in NSW) which is great but means that the economics of payback are constantly shifting. I heard on the radio last week ( ABC FM interview with Tim Flannery) that the cost effectiveness of solar panels will fall below coal in the current decade, so then there will be a significant shift in the way energy is generated and hopefully the price we pay for it.

I really like the idea of running my house on clean energy from my own roof though - that's gotta be worth a few grand at least!

I really like the idea of running my house on clean energy from my own roof though - that's gotta be worth a few grand at least!

I agree, and I have a wind turbine ordered from the states, should be here in a few weeks. Just to make up for those cloudy days.
Also in the process of installing solar hot water as well. Just can't help myself :rolleyes:
Even though our hot water is on a night meter and doesn't cost much...I scored some solar panels at a good deal and am doing the job myself...won't cost too much.

I have heard they are developing a solar panel that will work on 9 different spectrums of light....costs will come down over time.

We get paid 44 cents per kWh exported, while we pay 21 cents including GST on what we buy. So we don't run the dryer or dishwasher during daylite hours. Wait until the sun goes low and we are no longer producing.

We installed a 5.44 kWh system, 32 panels on the shed roof rated at 170 watts each. The end result is what used to be $600 per quarter plus ambo charges is now totally free, plus we are getting paid an average of $5.50 per day. The last quarter we only had the proper meter installed for 14 days of the billing peroid and we got an $81 credit.

Cheers,
bud
And this is why every ones electricity bill is going up, because the government is paying more for "renewable" energy than coal generated. Not too mention that it only costs 3 cents a kilowatt to produce power with coal.

And this is why every ones electricity bill is going up, because the government is paying more for "renewable" energy than coal generated. Not too mention that it only costs 3 cents a kilowatt to produce power with coal.

Yes, but that is the point.
You pay it here, or will end up paying for carbon credits....
But you will pay.......

Bud,
if you dont mind me asking, how much was your system all up.

Regards Tony

It all sounds so much easier just to chuck an extension cord over the fence when the neighbours are out to run the greenhouse.

QldKev

Arrrrrrr....no one here from Tassie so far.

The power here is HORRENDUS

We have been here in Tassie for 5 years now and the cheapest qtly bill was $650...my latest which i got last week

$918

1 x 450lt fridge
1 x 200lt fridge (only on about 50% of the time)
1 x Heat pump (reversve cycle air con....allways on for approx 8 mths of the year)
1 x Oil heater
1 x desktop on 3 hrs
1 x normal telly on 5-6 hrs

Eleccy hot water and all eleccy cooking

all lights are low energy flouros

OH and we can expect a 27% increase in the next 18 mths according to the sunday paper..

Arrrrrrr....no one here from Tassie so far.

The power here is HORRENDUS

We have been here in Tassie for 5 years now and the cheapest qtly bill was $650...my latest which i got last week

$918

1 x 450lt fridge
1 x 200lt fridge (only on about 50% of the time)
1 x Heat pump (reversve cycle air con....allways on for approx 8 mths of the year)
1 x Oil heater
1 x desktop on 3 hrs
1 x normal telly on 5-6 hrs

Eleccy hot water and all eleccy cooking

all lights are low energy flouros

OH and we can expect a 27% increase in the next 18 mths according to the sunday paper..

Not much point of harnessing energy from the two days a month of sunshine we get.
We could always try to dam the Franklin, again.
I reckon we should be taxing all the big companies that turn power into pollution and huge profits that go offshore, maybe that will ease the power burdens forced upon the poor.
If only we could harness energy from cold air.

2 adults, 1 kid - Sydney

2 fridge/freezers
1 fermenting fridge
R/C air con.(hardly ever on)
Fans in each room
GU10 light fittings everywhere.
2 laptops.

$350 / quarter

I think the thing that keeps the cost down for us is the solar hot water, never been in a house without it.

Back