Powdery Mildew On Hops Plant

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crundle

I like beer
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just went outside to check on the hops plant (Pride of Ringwood), as it has been raining here in Adelaide for several days now, and noticed that some of the leaves are covered in a white powder, which seems to be powdery mildew. I have noticed in the past few weeks that the plant has not been growing as actively as it was before, but put this down to the change in seasons. This was from a rhizhome from about 6 months ago from memory, and has been going great guns till now. The plant stands as high as the fence, and is somewhat espaliered along the fence.

I have some pictures to check if it is powdery mildew, and if it is, what is the best way to tackle the problem, any recommended products for use on hops?

cheers,

Crundle

Mine are doing the same, so are the pumpkins. Just that time of year and nothing to worry about at this point. If it was November and it was getting powdery mildew, then I would spray. Right now the rhizomes are starting to pull the energy back from the above ground growth anyway.

John

Thanks fraser_john,

I need to do some more research on growing hops it would seem, I would like to propagate this plant as I took a rhizome for safekeeping, and the person I got it from lost all of his during the year.

At least I know it is nothing to worry about at this stage, and why the growth is slowing so much.

cheers,

Crundle

Back